1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with 8hp giant-vac blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Nov 12, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new 8 hp giant-vac whisper jet push blower a couple weeks ago. We used it for a couple days and than one day I went to start it and the impeller was rubing agianst the houseing so I brought it back to my dealer and he said "oh man I thought they fixed that this year". So anyway he was cool about it and fixed it. I think he said that the whole engine was moving up and thats why the impeller was rubing. Anyway I just thought I'd share that incase anyone else is having a simular problem.
  2. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, is the 8hp a briggs and straton? (sp?), i have heard others talking about problems they have with thier 8 hp briggs. Thanks again
  3. Tomslawncare1

Tomslawncare1 LawnSite Member

Hey little green guy, do you know if theres a big difference between the 8hp whiisper jet and the regular 8hp I/C B & S blowers? I have two 8hp I/C blowers and was thinking of upgrading to either a 8hp whisper jet or an 11hp B & S blower. What do you think? Let the opinions fly. LOL
  4. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

I would spend the extra $$ on a honda, they will have better resail val. if you decide to sell it later, and also they will last longer if you dont decide to sell it, i belive they make a 9hp, and a 11 or 13? is that right? someone correct me if im wrong, but either way i would go with the hondas.
  5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have both the standard 8 hp b&s i/c and the 8 hp b&s wisper jet. They both have there advantages and disadvantages.

The standard 8 is better because it's alot lighter than the wisper jet. It's not quit as powerful as the wisper jet because of the smaller impeller.

The wisper jet is better because it's a little more powerful, a little quieter. the wisper jet is heavier but it's balanced good. I've also used an 11hp wisperjet and I would get the 11 hp b&s over the 8 hp because it's less work on the engine with the bigger fan, plus it's a little more powerful and not that much more money. The only reason I got the 8hp wisper jet was because thats all my dealer had in stock and I needed another blower. I do like the 8hp wisperjet though, it's a good machine and definitly more powerful than the standard 8.