Problem with a lawn (pictures included)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NASCARfan1, Sep 10, 2007.

1. NASCARfan1

NASCARfan1 LawnSite Member

I've been reading these boards for a while now, but now I need some help. I originally thought it was grubs, but i don't think thats the case. Do you guys have any ideas on what's going on here. The second pic is a close up of where I pulled the thatch back and shows that there is basicaly no root system left.

Thanks in advance.

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Did you try digging down a bit deeper. I just had grub damage show up on my lawn last week and I am only about an hour or so north of you.
  3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure it's not grubs, because it sure looks like it. Did you dig up a section about a foot away from the damaged area and looked there?
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep,... Grubs. the tore up area is skunk damage or something similar. Go out toward the outer edges of the damage, and roll back the sod - tearing back into the green areas. You will find them. As was stated above, they will be sort of deep - especially taking into consideration of how dry the soil appears. You will count atleast 4 to 6 grubs per sq. ft. which is your threshold level. The damage you have tells us you have atLEAST that many.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If there are grubs, damage usually occurs later in year. You should see hundreds of holes where the birds have been pecking at the soil as they eat the grubs. Also skunk damage is common. Peel back sod. Grubs are not hard to find. Numbers of over 5 per square foot need treatment.

Looks like a dry spot to me. The most common lawn problem this year. Also could be dry due to what I call "root burn". This occurrs when the roots of a tree extend out past the shadow of the branches. You get a dry area on the south side of a tree, because the tree roots have stolen the moisture from the grass. Rake and reseed this area.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

We have already seen a large amount of grub damage here. Looks very much like grubs from pic. Exposed soil looks dry, so they most likely wouldn't be near surface right now. Dig down a bit on the outer edge of infected turf...
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I doubt very much it's grubworm damage. My guess is either billbugs or chinch bugs. I say billbug damage plus drought.
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Well did this guy ever pull out his shovel or what?
  9. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with billbug, but that doesn't look like chinch damage. Aren't billbugs adults right now?
  10. KKBElite

KKBElite LawnSite Member
    from north

Here in the upper midwest with the drought we had many lawns get severe leafspot desease(melting out). that pic looks very similar to what i've seen around here. Just my 2 cents.