Problem with a valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Gorhad, Jul 28, 2010.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

You should make sure the "big thingy" at the top is completly open (turn counterclockwise until it stops and back of about 1/4turn) You shouldn't need to turn the solenoid if you open the bleeder valve but you should get some water coming off the bleeder valve.

After making sure the dang thing is open; try turning the solenoid slowly (with the bleeder valve closed)n until the valve opens, or it comes off. If you don't have flow after it comes off; replace the entire valve; just unscrew the hex bolts holding down the top on the old one, pull all of it out slowly (study how the stuff came out) and reverse the proceedure using the new one. You don't need to cut the valve out of the line... just change what's inside. That's a cheap valve, I doubt you can get parts.

By the Way... make sure the solenoid faces the direction of the water... in other words, the flow should come from the other side of the valve the solenoid is on.

One of the most common errors my slave... err workmen make is tightening down the solenoid too hard.

Had to change my ex-wifes diagphram once... nasty job. Needed two hands and a quart of valvoline. No screws.

2. jvanvliet

ARE YOU MAD:dizzy:? 95% of my maintenace customers have indexing valves... it's what keeps me busy:hammerhead:

3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

When replacing the valve, as stated above, also make sure that the solenoid discharge port in the valve body is not clogged.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I think the phitzer valve is maybe discombobulated.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

that isn't a phitzer valve, you hack, it's a thumb wheel!

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I thought the thumb wheel was the thingamajig. Must be a regional thing.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

down here in Hooterville, we call it a doohickey.

8. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Did you have to post this? I figured it might be kind of fun to sit and watch.

9. jvanvliet

It's a THINGY... geez you hackers.

10. jvanvliet

Isn't that what I get from the Hunter rewards program... or was that doodleysquat?