problem with a wheel motor perhaps?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DavisLawn, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i've got a country clipper that runs good cold but when it starts heating up it stops pulling on one side.... i've replaced the hydro and didnt fix, checked the hoses and made sure there was no air bubbles...etc..... no one here knows how to check a wheel motor... any of you guys know if theres a way to "check" a wheel motor? i hate to buy a wheel motor not sure if thats the problem... i've already wasted 400 on a new pump and that wasnt the problem.... what else should i check? anything im missing?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The only way to properly check/test a hydro system is with hydro pressure testing equipment.

Since you have already replaced the pump and made SURE all hydro hose fittings are tight, The drive belt is tight, dump valve is fully closed and the system is bled of any air and don't have the test equipment, It sounds like a weak wheel motor.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The Poor Mans way of checking a bad wheel motor or how I was taught by TGLC was to swap the wheel motor to the other side. :rolleyes: If it's bad, then the swap will tell you for sure.

ericg likes this.
  4. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

thanks guys... i thought about doing that breez... but havent yet... wouldnt sure it would work but knowing somebody else did it makes me feel better about trying it.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

By no means am I an expert on Hydros, I might deal with 4 or 5 a year in this little back woods shop. And I hate to throw a wrench in to this mess. :hammerhead:
    The pump you took out might be bad as well as the wheel motor. When a pump goes bad, it will send small bits of metal to the wheel motor, which will effect it's performance
    Where as if the wheel motor goes bad, the metal will get filtered out with the hydro filter.
    When ever I change a pump or a wheel motor, I will drain the whole system and change the filter, and I mean the whole system, drain the hoses as well.
    I would rather be safe then sorry with some ones machine. :dizzy:
    Hydro systems are a PITA with out the right tools to check pressure and flow.

ericg likes this.
  6. wall

wall LawnSite Member

7. wall

wall LawnSite Member

I aslo need to add that the procedure is for testing the pump. If the pump checks out ok wheel motor is bad. Trouble is that flow meters cost more than a wheel motor, Sorry I should have stayed out of this one.