Problem with aftermarket W/B belt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shearbolt, Nov 22, 2001.

1. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark 48 Metro hauling a Jungle Jim sulky.The drive belts started slipping so I replaced them with J Thomas aftermarkets. Still slipping . Then replaced both drive pulleys on either side of tranny. Still slipping. Did I ruin the new aftermarket belts by running it on the worn pulleys or are the belts to cheap for the added sulky weight?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Did you replace the engine to transmision belt ?
    If not, this is most likely your problem.
    It may just need to be tightened up.

Later
    Pj

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It is important to determing WHERE you are slipping.

If they ourboard pulleys are turning full speed and the belts are slipping, you may need to adjust your controls.

You may need new springs that engage the belts.

And, you're right, the belts from JThomas are NOT as good as OEM spec.

4. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Thanks for both of your quick replys. The tranny belt is tight and the controls are set properly. The drive belts are for sure slipping at the drive pulleys. I think I'll take your advice Kent and replace the springs and go with new oem belts.

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Unless your machine is old and the springs are weak, I'd just pop new factory belts on. (Yeah, I know they're twice as much :()

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

They might be twice as much, but they seem to last 5 times longer too. This has been my experiance at least on my mowers.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Find an equipment supply store around you and use that as your source for belts, pulleys, and such. We have a place called Wholesale Equipment Supply, and I can get the same belts that are available from Exmark for a fraction of the cost. An example; I just bought the main mule drive belt for my Lazer a couple of weeks ago. This belt was about 70 bucks through the dealer, and I paid about 20 bucks for it. This belt is the highest quality you can get, it is wrapped and wound. This is the way to go.

8. If it's the wheel drive belts like you say, then they might be wrong ones, or springs are not tight.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Dd you check the pulleys on the wheels themselves fr wear??

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I was going to say before, is that it sounds like the wrong belts. I've done that before while being told they WERE the right belts. A little bit of looseness can make ALL the difference in the world.