1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

problem with azealeas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Aug 13, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

put in a row of azealeas last fall. looked great, bloomed great, came out of bloom nicely, leaves green and healthy, standing straight up. a week ago, noticed this whitish, scaley looking stuff on the leaves. my dry hands couldnt rub it off. any idea what it is? how do i fix it?
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Can you get a picture?

Are they real small like dots? Sticky?

There are several scenarios. Here is one, that may actualy be your problem. No pic, or better description. So I am just guessing.

Sooty Mold. Generaly dark to almost black but have seen it in lighter colors. Aphids that suck the sap from a plant will discharge a sticky residue. What will then happen is dust and polutents will stick to the residue.

Please provide more info of your problem
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

they seem to be more like a "sugar coating" on the leaves. not powdery, cant rub it off, kind of like "glossey" in apearance
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Could possibly be the sugary residue of aphids. Do you see any on the underside of the leaves?
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Aphid residue

Do a soap spray according to the directions. Be sure to get under the leaves best you can.
  7. bobbygedd

from NJ

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Ther other possibility would be lace bug damage. I can't be too sure w/out a pic though. Usually, the leaves turn a paler green, w/ speckled brown patches on the undersides.