Problem with Blade Starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cclc1021, Sep 13, 2006.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

At first the blades would turn off while I was cutting. Now when I press the button to start the blades nothing happens at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Proline
    44” Part & Model Number
    30175-49154

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Most likely a worn out clutch or a clutch out of adjustment. Unplug the the clutch at the wiring harness to make sure you 12+ volts with a VOM. If voltage is adequate and you have a clutch with three adjustment nuts on it, you will find a a slot near each nut to check the air gap. Most air gap specs are .010 to .012. If the air gap is excessive, go slowly and adjust each nut a little at a time until you attain the proper gap at all three slots, then check for clutch engagment. If you get no engagement and you have adequate voltage, then more or likely a clutch replacement will be needed.

If DC voltage at the clutch pigtail is inadequate, check with your dealer for the proper AC voltage output from the charging coil. Should the output be within spec, then the problem could possibly be with a faulty voltage regulator/rectifier.

From your description of the way things happened, I would guess that your problem is clutch related.

Dutch

3. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the response. The relay and the switch to engage the blades were bad.