Problem with blower and trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK this started out with my blower which is an Echo Shred-N-Vac Blower. It started acting cold natured starting up and you had to finess it to get it going. Within a few days it would crank up, run a few minutes fine and then act like it was running out of gas.

At that point I figured it was the fuel filter since the trimmer was fine. So I installed a new one. Then I dumped the Opti-2 gas mix and mixed up a new batch with amsoil.

Immediately the blower seemed better. But now the problem is coming back. It cranks up fine but has to be finessed a bit to get it going. Then it takes spells but never quits on me like it would before.

Anyways, now my trimmer which is a Stihl FS85R is starting to act up too. It would not crank back after respooling the head. I finally got it cranked back, but now it's a little stubborn to crank and it takes spells where it acts like it's running out of gas also. But it only does it when I turn it sideways left side up. It did that to me when I first got it but that was because the fuel line was hung up on the left side. So I checked that first thing. But that's not it and it acts different from when that was the problem.

Anyone have any idea what I might have going on here?

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

How old are they?? sounds like maybe you need to freshen em' up with new diagphram's or "carb jobs", Sometimes the rubber in the carbs just deteriorate.. Or maybe the mix change (possibly chemistry of the oil??, Doubt it.) has something to do with it.. Let us Know what you find.. I love a good mystery.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Both are a little more than a year old.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Have you thought about using a different two cycle mixture?

5. Envy Lawn Service

Did it with Opti-2... did it with amsoil... and to my knowledge those two are supposed to be the best on the market. Do you have and additional brand suggestion that I might try... other than Echo oil?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use Stens. I love it, no problems at all

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

shindaiwa one has always worked for us.

8. Envy Lawn Service

I really don't feel like it has anything to do with oil because I've already went from Opi-2 to amsoil.

But I'm certainly willing to try other oils.... what does it cost to try... very little....

Anyone else?

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

try running a non synthetic, use a can of lawnboy oil, it's the best for a non synthetic

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

ok this is a shot in the dark and I have no idea if it would make any difference, Maybe where you are getting your gas they are mixing to much alcohol in it and the engines dont like it?? just a guess maybe since the gas companies have the ''summer formula'' out all over now