Problem with Chopper deck engagement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hoosier Mower, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

Both of my Choppers have the same problem now. The deck does'nt stop running when I turn the blades off untill I raise the deck. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

2. Are all your guides lined up and the guards on the engine pully still there?

Are they new belts? New belts will do this till they stretch out.

These 2 will do that. Other than that you got me.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can also check the mower frame for a twist. If the frame gets twisted somehow it will affect the blade engagement. And remember, the frame has a lifetime warranty.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i've seen this happen when the blades are engaged and dis-engaged at higher rpms, the belt and pulleys gets glazed and sticky.

also, make sure you clean and grease the triangle plate and idler daily, it might not be releasing all the way.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hoosier,

Something tells me that you just installed new belts on both units. The adjusting nut on the spring will have to be loosened some.

If this isn't the case (New belts) then I guess we're all scratching our heads. Check for a stick or something preventing the idler system from disengaging, but with BOTH units doing this,....

Richard,

FYI, the Frame has a lifetime warranty against breakage...NOT "Bendage". :eek: Bent aint broke, but DC has never really had a frame problem.

6. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'll concur with Dave on this one. It's most likely the triangular plate that pivots on the greasable shaft. If the shaft is not greased regularly it will will prevent the blades from disengaging. A couple of shots every week will do it.........Lynn

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Tommy,
    You are correct about the frame. But you can also bet your bottom dollar that if my frame twists and stays that way from everyday usage I will be at the dealer raising a stink. I am extremely easy on my mowers. I just don't like a rought ride and I don't think a mower cuts as well when it bouncing all over the place.