problem with customer's dog droppings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by g.man, Sep 29, 2007.

1. g.man

g.man LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has 4 dogs and she never seems to pick up the droppings before I get there. I,m stepping on it the whole time I'm cutting with my push mower . what should I do ?

2. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Triple your price for dealing with the poo or drop her.

3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto that.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ahhhh yes, teh intimately familiar smell of ta poo, good times, good times.
    What can I say, I think we've all had to do the do, I know I did.
    And it is to a point good for us guys, builds humility, good stuff, no for real it is.

I did it until I absolutely couldn't take it anymore, I remember one day my truck's steering developed that problem, it just wouldn't turn down that street no more, but I did it while I still needed the money and to a point I felt sad. Because we lose a piece of ourselves as we move up in the world, it's nuts, but it's that trade, yin and yang, stay or go.

In the meantime, when I needed the $, I always did those lots as the last yard of the day...
    I just had to go straight home after that, shower.

Nowadays I use these experiences as one of many pre-screening tests I conduct when estimating...
    More than likely, I see stuff like that I am gone before I even take it all in to come up with a price.
    The fence is the first clue lol.

It's not entirely avoidable and to a point I have no real issues with it, there are still days I get a stinker on the mower tire and I'm not turning down a customer because they have dog(s) either. But I do require my customers keep up after their pets and children (toys), doesn't have to be 100% spotless, but it has to be cleaned after regularly. You know if they cleaned on Tuesday and I come out Wednesday and there's 3-4 piles fine, but not 30 or 40!

Good luck man, you'll be awrite.

5. fslm

fslm LawnSite Member

What i do is i allow 2-4 piles of waste. after that i charge a $10 cleanig fee for equipment. If the customer calls (they wont) you can give them a ear full when they complain about the charge. OR drop them, thiers other customers out there.

6. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

you politely ask tell her about this situation and that you have a real hard time cuttin the lawn with all the doo, and if she could please take care of it before the scheduled cuttin day. some people are just dumb about it and don't think its an issue. they gotta be told.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

no way any customers are going to clean up dog poo. drop the customer if you cant stand the mess

8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer with one dog when I started cutting her lawn and in 6 weeks aquired 5 more Siberian Huskys. I told the lady that the dog poo was excessive. The owner told me to get over it more or less so she is still searching for someone to cut here grass. I feel it ain't worth the trouble.

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Next time you mow, take your time and mow around each pile. When she gets home and sees all the 'missed' spots in the yard, maybe she'll get the point.

10. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

drag her out of the house, pull her by her hair into the backyard and jam her face into it, then start yelling (how do you like it).