1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with cut quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSL 23, Sep 30, 2003.

1. GSL 23

GSL 23 LawnSite Member

Is anyone having problems with the quality of their cut. I have already sharpened my blades, I've bought new blades and I have to go over my lawns 3 times not just my crab grass lawns my good lawns to. Do you think their is to much vacuum with the mower making the grass stick up even after you have gone over it. I have a 52 inch Wright Stander, a 48 inch Bunton, 21 inch Airens with a Robbins engine and a 21 inch lawn boy. I have this problem with all my mowers. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.

GSL 23
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not being a wiseguy when I say this, but seeing that it is happening to all of your mowers, are you sure you are putting your blades on the right way? My local shop said you'd be amazed at the number of people (not lco's; mostly homeowners) who bring in their mowers with the blade on backwards and wonder why it won't cut. Do you normally do your own bladework?
  3. GSL 23

GSL 23 LawnSite Member

Thank you for responding I do sharpen all my blades i have been doing this for a long time and never had this problem till recently.
  4. procare57

procare57 LawnSite Member

try lowering your deck height. Grass is slowing down a bit just might need to make an adjustment.
  5. Pro Prop Care

Pro Prop Care LawnSite Member

Yeah try dropping the deck bout 1/2 inch . it just seems too wierd:dizzy:
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One of the things you might want to check is the pitch of your deck, otherwise known as "rake". When the front is not lower than the back of the blade-travel, then this causes a forward draft that pushes the grass down. Ultimately, you want between 1/8" to 1/4" difference in blade tip height from front to back, when the blades are pointed directly forward. One of the main, and most common causes of this, is tire pressure. If the rear tires are low, this can cause this problem. Taking into consideration, the cooler temps we've been having, this (the tire pressure) can easily have been changed. Try this and see, and I hope this helps.

Runner's Girlfriend:)
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

two things that can make cut quality bad is mowing when the gras is too wet and going to fast. put these together and it canget really bad.

Not sure what your conditions are but that's alll I can think of.
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

If it's happening to all your mowers, I would say it's either the way you are...
    1. sharpening the blades
    2. driving speed...too fast?
    3. cutting height (too high?)

I have one lawn that no matter what I do, the grass is so fine you can look back over a pass and there they are...stiking their little heads with their tongues, "Can't cut me. Can't cut me...nanananan!!!" .........sorry....must be those voices again:blob2:
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard to understand what the problem is.

What poor qualities are you getting?

Stringers? Scalloping? Scalping? Brown tip? Leaving stripes between blades?
  10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You mentioned new blades, are you certain they are the correct length? Even an 1/8" shorter blade can make a big difference.
    Also, is the deck under side clear/clean?