problem with dealer and trimmer (stihl)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Mar 15, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

What should I do about this problem?? I have a stihl fs80/85 I call it an 85 because I put a steel shaft in a 80. Anyway it is coming up on a year old and has had a problem where the idle drops a little lower and the clutch lets the head spin really fast. It's been doing this last year also. I brought it to the dealer last year and he looked at it the mechanic ran it and said it was fine and didn't see the problem. Well it keeps doing it so I bring it in recently twice because the mechanic can't see the problem when he runs it so the dealer will not open it up and fix it. Well I am really upset because I am the one running this fricken trimmer and it keeps doing this crap. When the dealer gets it, it runs fine and makes the bell clutch sound. But after you use it for 10-20 min on a lawn the bell tingling clutch sound will go away and the idle will sound lower and the clutch lets the shaft and head spin really fast. Several sources have told me(not the crazy dealer) that the springs might need to be replaced. Because I know it's not the actual clutch but something is letting the shaft and head spin. Also when this happens the bell tingling usual sound is not present, it is a grinding sqeaky metal sound. Well the dealer said if he can't see it happen in the shop which of course it's not going to screw up in there, he won't open it and fix the problem. Also his wife gets on the phone and yells at me saying it's a chain saw clutch and it's fine and come and get it out the shop(basically it's taking up space or some crap). Anyway I'm mad about this because I called stihl southwest because I kept the number from previous problems with the dealer and another stihl dealer because there's only two close by me and both are not so great. That's why I don't buy stihl anymore(dealer support). Anyway I called them and talked to casey who I talked to before and he really couldn't help me because the dealer's are independant and that I should take it to the only other two stihl dealers that are both 10 and 20 miles away. I really don't like having to go that far especially because I bought the trimmer right down the road at that shop. They should help me out because I BOUGHT IT THERE! So I call the territorial manager who lives across the lake and he also says to go to the two far away dealers that I have never been to or bought anything at. He said he would call my dealer and find out about the situation. Well I was busy so my dad went over to get the trimmer that they said was fine and that they were not going to open it up and fix even though the owner said he would(he lied, actually he lies a lot that why I don't like to deal with him anymore). So he told my dad he would open it up and if there isn't anything wrong, he would charge me for it. Hmmm there is something wrong and it is under warranty. Also he said not to call the stihl rep. anymore. He said if something does break it's covered, but I want what's broken now to be fixed. What should I do? Stihl really isn't helping with telling me go somewhere else for service. I'm really disappointed with the two close stihl dealers I have. Also what can I do about my screwed up trimmer? Sorry for such a long post but I'm mad at this whole situation. I really to sell the stihl trimmers and go with all redmax and echo which I can get at my two favorite dealers(they don't sell stihl) go figure the good dealers don't sell stihl.:rolleyes:

What should I do with the dealer problem and the trimmer with the clutch problem?
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You modified the product and voided the warranty, not the dealer.
  3. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

By modifying it you probably voided the warranty anyhow.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

If it takes 10 minutes running in order for the problem to show up, can you run the trimmer outside the store until it start acting up and go into the store to show them. you might want to rev the engine, use the bottom of your shoe to give the head a little resistance to simulate the load. Rev it up and down to heat up the clutch until it start acting up. Try it at home first before you go there to make sure you can make the problem appear.

Also are you sure your idle is not too high after the trimmer warm up? This happen to my Troy Bilt Trimmer. The idle increase after it warm up and the clutch engage and the head keep spinning even when I let go of the throtle. I use this to tell my wife that the Troy Bilt was broken and bought my Honda trimmer!!!:laugh::laugh:
  5. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Putting the shaft in technically voids it but in practice making your 80 into an 85 is not a big deal and most dealers(including myself) won't hold that over your head, though we will suggest buying a 90 lol. The more 90's and 110's we sell the longer the 80 can be around and in my area the stihl dist. has them priced in such a way that we have to sell the 80 and 90 at the same price now. To get back on topic, your dealer could use some customer service skills!
  6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

If you modified yourself, can you put it back to original condition before you bring it to the dealer? Better yet, if you know how to take it apart to that point, isn't it easy to look at the clutch and/or replace the clutch spring??!! By removing the shaft, the clutch should be right there inside the drum ( I don't know what it call, it is like the drum of the drum brake of older car.). My Troy bilt was a little tricky, the screw hide inside the center of the drum. Email to Stihl or ask your dealer to give you a parts diagram so you can learn how to take it apart.
  7. S man

Thanks for the response so far but let me clear this up...... Nobody cares including both stihl dealers if I switched the shaft or not. That's not the problem. It's the clutch when it gets hot. And yes I am mad that the dealer can't just fix this before it does wear out the clutch. It's just getting the stupid thing to act up when it's at the shop. I will use it when they're open and get it hot and bring it right over. Then the mechanic can tell me what's wrong. Any ideas as to the problem? I think it's the springs.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

9. S man

I would like to sell it and my other and go with redmax or echo for dealer support, remember both stihl dealers aren't so great. The two dealers that I get my mowers from sell redmax echo shiny but no stihl.

It is NOT modified. The other stihl dealer sold me the shaft and said it was fine to put it in. Both dealers know I did this and they are fine with it and it is still under warranty for lifetime on the clutch. What should I do with this trimmer? Open it up myself and try to find the problem most likely the springs? Or should I get it acting up right when I bring it to the dealer? Because something is really wrong with clutch.

Again symtom, it does not spin fast when the bell tingling sound is going on. what happens is the idle sounds like it drops and the bell tingling sound goes away and it starts spinning fast and makes a metal squeaky sound. Th dealer wants to see it before he fixes but after it being there three times I don't think they want to see it again until something "really" breaks.
  10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds familiar.

When something like this happens, we take it across the street where it normally isn't cut and run one there. That will cause the problem to show up if there is one.

Or as when I was a State Maint. Mech. and had a 77 Dodge Monaco wagon that wouldn't develope a problem until after it was 75 miles from home, the State's way of making sure that the problem was found or fixed was to tell me to take a drive. Next site was about 85 miles away. Here's some mail to go too! And take lunch money and your tools.