1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with divots...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Krimick, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I am currently trying out a Exmark Lazer Z HP 44" and I'm having a problem with divots.

What kind of speed should you for a zero turn? I'm even "tearing" a few spots while going around gardens or trees. I've read a lot of posts on the topic but I'm still having trouble. I will be using it for a full day tomorrow so any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
  2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Toro 44" and it does the same thing that you are talking about. I don't know why it does this, the only thing that I can come up with is that it is to light in the rear. I have had mine going on three years and still haven't solved this problem.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 60 inch lazer, and ive found the best way to turn, is like a 3 pt turn. say you are mowing straight and you want to turn back to go the other direction. i turn left, not at a 90 degree angle, then i back up at and turn left to go back down the row. i think you will always get a divot if you try to do an exact 0 turn. i also mow around the perimeter once so i have some room to play with when completeing my turns, so my stripes are not affected.
  5. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link esby, I actually read that thread a little while ago. I understand that it will take some practice to be able to make zero turn without leaving a mark. But my main concern is leaving slight marks while going around a mulched garden.

The garden I am specifically talking about had a radius of 4', this is hardly a zero turn. I found slight marks in two spots around the garden. I didn't feel I was going to fast.

Once again, I appreciate the tips from all you experienced riders. I'll check back in before I head out in the morning.
  6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

When going around a small, circular garden with radius of 4 feet you are bound to "bind" with the turf some regardless of speed. Although they are called "zero turns" they also come with large, WIDE wheels that create alot of surface area contact with the turf. This in turn creates the "divots" you are talking about. When I need to go around something like this I try not to just go right around it, I start my track around it, but let myself drift from the edging as I progress, then back up, while turning the deck back towards the edging and continue going around, perhaps doing this several times until you have made your circle. I know it sounds petty, and somewhat annoying, but it deffinatly helps eliminating the divots you are seeing. I know that I am happy I have the larger, wider wheels when I want to mow a steeper incline and demand the traction. Give it a try and see if it works for you. Good luck-Esby
  7. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

thanks for the tip esby. Hopefully I will get to try it out today, however mother nature isn't working with me right now :)