1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

problem with ECHO SRM2400SB trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 24, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

almost from the day I bought this machine, the handle screws keep coming loose...in a day I bet I have to stop at least 6 times to tighten the phillips screws on the handle. Was thinking of putting some lock-tite on the screws. Have you had this problem and if so how did you fix it? Their design seems flawed in that this handle supports the weight of the trimmer and the part the screw goes into is only made of plastic,,,no way that can hold over time..thanks
  2. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had that problem with the spit boom units and I use the power broom attachment.

The nuts are supposed to be lock nuts which would hold very well. Maybe they are upside down or the wrong nuts.....try locktite if nothing else works.

Good luck!
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got that one but don't have that problem :confused:
    I assume you mean the "D" handle that is farthest from the engine? Mine have always been tight since I've had the machine (running an edger primarily). Get new nylon insert locknuts for it and tighten them down good.
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

garpa, use loctite thread sealent. it is avaliable at any autoparts store..
  5. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

GarPA. You're not alone!!! Mine too... :)
  6. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got 2 with the D handles that are plastic on the bottom. ! is 1 year old, the other is 4 years old. Never had that problem yet. ( Knock on wood )
  7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, get some loctite thread sealant. Had the same problem with my older 2400 straight shaft handle, we had some JD loctite stuff and just put that on the screw and screwed it back in, now the handle is always tight.
  8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have 2 echo trimmers and both the handles become loose with use. On one trimmer I fixed the problem by replacing the handle with a handle from an old homelite trimmer which I like better! (the handle I mean!!)
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same machine 2400 Split Boom.

Never had any loop handle problems. Maybe they changed them since I bought one of the first split boom model years.

Never really thought of my trimmer loop handles. I usually adjust them when I get them and they stay put for a decade or so.

The split boom does vibrate more than my other trimmers though. Maybe this has something to do with it?