Problem with Exmark. Hydro or Wheel motor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dreamer88, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Dreamer88

Dreamer88 LawnSite Member

I have an 08 Exmark with 1700 hours on it. After it sits for a while, it will start right up but the right wheel will not turn. It has done this to me several times and does it every time now. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes of moving the levers back and for before the right wheel will move. Once I get it moving it is fine. Hydro take then looks milky(air bubbles). After mower sits the hydro oil clears up. Dealer tells me it is sucking air. Any ideas??

2. Dreamer88

Nobody has ever had this problem?????

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

If the system is sucking air, it would definitely cause the oil to become aerated.
    A foamy, milky look. Checking the clamps on all suction lines would be a start. Some didn't have clamp. Those, you should install some. You have a reason to doubt the
    dealer? Some do know what their talking about.

4. Billsz28

Billsz28 LawnSite Member

Check to make sure all fittings are tight on the 2 lines connecting each hydro pump to its wheel motor. Also look for pin hole leaks on the lines. Ive bad something similar happen and found the bad line then all was well
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

My guys told me that a Turf Tiger I have is doing the same thing .. Interesting to see what the pros think

6. Billsz28

Billsz28 LawnSite Member

Clean all the lines well, run the machine and look for wet spots. Replace the lines as needed and that will solve the problem...theres only so many places it can be sucking air from
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Check your filter is it tight? And like above check lines.

8. Dreamer88

If it was the filter or the hydro tank cap, wouldn't it do it on both sides? not just the right.

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Dreamer...check the Exmark thread on the board by Greg78...he had the same problem and just posted his solution...
    Good info...

10. Dreamer88

Thanks, Just read the whole thread. I will have to check that out.