Problem with flyer distribution

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by UTM-PIKE, Mar 2, 2003.

1. UTM-PIKE

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    I usually put my 1/2 page flyers in the paper boxes of certain neighborhoods which deserve my services (ha, ha). On some rare occasions there is not a paper box, but only a mail box. I knew that it was against the law to open a mailbox, but had no clue it was illegal to stick something on the out side of one. I use a small piece of clear tape.

Anyways, I got home to listen to the answering machine thinking I had a potential customer, instead this lady was upset that the small piece of tape had peeled off a small portion of the paint and wanted to know what I would do about it. In talking to her on the phone today, she told me that any contact with the mailbox was illegal. Of course Im going to probably repaint the mailbox and make it right with her, and hopefully I could get a referal for handling it nicely if shes not still pissed. But I had no idea, and thought everyone should know.

I was talking to 65Hoss on the phone tonight and two of his customers work for the US Postal service, and they told him the same thing as far as any contact with the mailbox, but the bricks, and wood etc that supports the box is OK.

Anyways, I am thinking of not even going with the flyer thing next year if I get enough repeat customers. I get the dirtiest looks just by putting them in the paper boxes, and I understand why that woman was upset, I wasnt the only person to stick stuff on the box, but the straw that broke the camel's back. I feel like such an idiot handing them out, like a telamarketer or something. I will probably hand them out early in the morning from now on when people are sleeping. Anyone else feel wierd handing out flyers???

2. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I actually put a snow plow flyer in the mail box of one of my customers along with her bill and I got a call from the post office. They told me that you can not put anything in or on the mail box or supporting objects. The guy was actually really nice though. I think it is a bad image to have anyway, if you are going to hand out flyers I say take them up to the door.

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to keep harping on this but the solution is DOORHANGERS.........DOORHANGERS.........DOORHANGERS. Eliminates all the above problems, looks professional, easy to carry and not expensive.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

5. UTM-PIKE

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

How much are doorhangers, can you give me an idea? I would hate the fact of getting out at every house just to put up one doorhanger. I have enough dogs barking at the mailbox, wait till I try to step on the porch!!! How are doorhangers more efficient, just wandering. It just seems like more work, but if the call volume increases and people dont think Im stealing their mail, I should probably consider them.
    Jereme

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeremy,

i got 5K full color for just under $.10 per, or $477. Im going to put on my roller blades next week and get busy.

7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a problem with my customers putting payments in my mailbox. The mailman once took a payment that was in an envelope. Luckily it had my address on it and was returned to me postage due. We are going to have 2 brick mailboxes built. One for US mail and the other for newspapers and payments.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure of your community or property sizes, but door hangers are not an option here. The properties are just to large and widespread even just in the neighborhoods. I started out with doorhangers 2 years ago and after about 2 hours and 40 houses later, I was done. I took my door hangers, cut the hole off the top and delivered them by car. Fortunately, most houses have paper boxes, those that don't simply do not receive a flyer. Nobody does doorhangers in the surrounding communities, too widespread of properties. I can see where it would work on small postage stamp lots so one needs to apply accordingly to their area.
    Did 600 flyers last night and it took 3 hours with the car.

9. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Randy- I've been to Germantown before. Very spread out. I'm from Milwaukee and you could probably do 600 in 3 hours by foot there.:D

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Doorhangers are much easier to carry than a handful of flyers. I can carry about 300 in my left hand in a nice neat stack. No rubber bands, no folding, no tape and no worry about blowing away. We stay away form the areas where the lots are spead too far, for those areas we use intersection signs close by. We get our hangers for 45 dollars per 500. In most neighborhoods 2 of us can pass out about 300 per hour.