problem with gas????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exmark72, Oct 12, 2006.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

i filled my tanks the other day and today when i was mowin i noticed that gas was comein out one of the little holes in the cap of the tank that was not bein used.. both tanks were 3/4 full... then when i switched to that tank it stoped and went to the other tank... i noticed it b4 this but didnt think nething of it.. also has neone ever made it so the gas would be sucked from both tanks at the same time seems like a good idea to me.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think that might mean that the vent in the gas cap is broken and allowing gas out. I believe the vents in the cap are intended to allow air in put keep gas from coming out. Are you sure the caps were tight?

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Bad caps I'd guess.
    eXmarks don't typically do this and have good caps.

The Yazoo's were crap and did that crap all the time.
    Two big GAS water guns!!!!!!!!

On a side note, yes there is a company that can draw from both tanks at the same time. My lesco gives me the choice of right, left or both. Oddly enough, I find that most of the time I just run one tank though. I run it empty and then switch to the other as a reserve.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Also with the cooler morn temps, I over filled my tanks slightly the other day. The sun was shining on the black plastic and the gas warmed up and expanded some and pushed some gas out of my tanks

wayne

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Gas weeps out of my caps on my 60" lazer too. No big deal as long as it isn't getting on your tires and then onto the lawn. You need the air hole. If you plug it up the sucktion will make the side walls of the tank strart to colpase inward. If it really bothers you try buying new caps, or dont fill the tanks more than 3/4. That way gas is not coming in contact with the caps when it sloshes around on hills and bumpy spots.

6. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

Those caps have to be on TIGHT...otherwise they seep out around the cap. As for the hole letting fuel out, we experience this situation all the time when we are on hills and the tanks are full. Hills are steep here.