Problem with Honda GX390

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EliteImpressions, Mar 10, 2008.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I just aquired a pressure washer with the GX390 engine. I was told it stopped working about 6 months ago and no one has tried using it since.

I hooked it up to water but when I try to pull the cord, it almost impossible to pull it.

I tried looking online for manuals but found nothing about this in them. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Joe

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Will it pull over easier without water hooked to it ?

If so it sounds like the unloader may be bad.

[​IMG]

3. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

restrorbob,

I just tried without the water and its the same thing. It takes about 90% of my strength to start to move it at all. About 1 in 10 attempts results in actually going the full length.

4. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you always depress the trigger on the gun while pulling the cord or you are going to hurt yourself.
    Check the oil level in the pump and the engine before every use.
    If the engine does not turn at all, pull the spark plug and pour some Marvell miracle oil in the cylinder and let it soak for a day or two. After that, try to pull the cord with the spark plug still removed and the gun trigger depressed. It should rotate easily. Put the spark plug back and start the engine.
    You should keep the water connected with the tap open when starting the engine.

5. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

Happy Frog,

Ill give that a try on Wed. Any other replys would be greatly appreciated.

I havent had a lot of experience working with engines, but it makes no sense why my $300 lawnmower from lowes with atleast yrs and 500 hrs gives me less problems than any other piece of equipment that I own. (I didnt even change the oil or the spark plug the first two years becuase I was young and stupid).

6. Restrorob

When I run across a situation like this I remove the pump from the engine, This tells me if it's a engine problem or pump problem.

Most of the time I find the pump was ran low of oil or with water contaminated oil (internal seals leaking) locking the pump down.

Good Luck

7. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

Just checked what I should have started with and there wasnt any oil on the dipstick. I read the manual and it said there was a low oil shutoff but Im thinking thats the problem. Im going to change out the oil and plug and see what that does if anything.

8. Restrorob

I've seen WAY too many Honda's come in the shop with the oil alert disconnected. And, The funny part is....They still won't keep oil in them and seize um right up....:dizzy: :hammerhead:

9. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

Restrorob,

If this was the case, is there anything I can do? There was some oil but not much.

10. Restrorob

Well,
    You would need to start with tearing the engine down, Remove the pump and side cover then you can get to the rod bolts. Remove the rod cap and gander at the crank surface, This is the area where most damage occurs by way of aluminum transfer to the crank journal.

Sometimes if it isn't too bad the crank can be polished to remove the aluminum and a new rod installed. But, Polishing too much can under-size the crank leaving a loose new rod.