1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

problem with hustler hydro

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chadwhick, Sep 6, 2006.

1. chadwhick

chadwhick LawnSite Member

just bought a used hustler super z. Had 50 hours and had recently been serviced. I mowed with it last week and noticed that on hills and turn arounds @ slow speeds the left wheel felt like it was grabbing. Go, just with hesitation. I took it to my dealer and they said the hydro wheel mower is shot and I need to be replace. What would cause a hydro with 50 hours to tear up? Should I just go on and replace it or drive it until it totally goes out.?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me right off really.

I'm not at all suggesting it's impossible.
    But I think it is HIGHLY more likely that the system was not purged properly after the 50 hour service. In other words, they take it in and spend a few minutes purging the air out, then call you in a few days to come pick up your mower and your BIG tab for work they didn't do and parts they didn't install.

You can purge the system yourself in just a few minutes.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Check to make sure hydro belt isn't slipping.

Discharge side wheel motor? That pump gets the least belt wrap around the pump pulley.
  4. chadwhick

the NON-discharge side... doesn't feel like belt slipping...but I didn't look at that.
    I don't think they would chip me like that... I've worked with my dealer for a while...but a possibility.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That or like envy said....air in the system.

I had some jerky/stuttering during the first 20hrs.

Also, with all the rain you've been getting, if it's wet, that hydro belt WILL slip.

It's just that the symptoms your describing are dead on for what I'm suggesting.

When hydro motors go, they usually go out with a bang. You never know though, you could have a bad one from the get go.
  6. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I had to have a wheel motor replaced on my Mini-Z at about 100 hours; it didn't feel like it was grabbling, it just lost power on that side.

If it's less than 2 years old it's possible that Hustler MAY extend the warranty to you, they do sometimes look at that on a case-by-case basis.

You should post the model & serial numbers on your machine in a message to PJ in the Hustler forum here on lawnsite if you do have a wheel motor problem.....it never hurts to ask!
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ever get this figured out?
  8. chadwhick

yes I did, the original dealer replaced the hydro motor under warrenty. that was nice! they said the hydro was bad.