Problem with Hustler hydros?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Buggaboo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. I just bought a Super Z a few weeks ago and have been enjoying my new mowing experience, although I sometimes feel like Jodie Foster at the end of the movie 'Contact'. You know where the time travel machine is bumping her around and all. Not that I know what it's like to be Jodie Foster,.... I digress. The only problem I've had so far besides losing rpm's and the throttle adjustment slipping, is with one of the hydros. When I'm riding top speed and pull on the left steering lever I hear a funny whizzing sound and the hydro doesn't work. 15mph ain't fast in a car but on a midmount it can be quite thrilling, especially when your mower doesn't turn when it's supposed to. Anyone else had this problem? Not the Jodie Foster one.....

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Did you buy it new or used?
    Either way, e-mail me your info, model and serial #'s and your dealers info, and I will have it looked into.

Pj

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

:) Second to none. Kenny.

4. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

I bought it new. Took it in to the dealer but they're having a hard time reproducing the problem. Not sure if it only happens when the hydros are nice and warm but I'll be paying attention more this week. It only seems to happen at top speed. No one else had this problem?

5. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

Sounds like an air leak to me.....

6. jutoyz

jutoyz LawnSite Member

Are the bypass valves on the top of the pumps closed?

7. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

I'll check the bypass valves tomorrow. Thanks for the tip...

8. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

The bypass valves are closed. My dealer said that this was "normal" although he flied a claim with Hustler about my specific case. Something about transport speed that makes the hydros do this apparently, although it only happens on the left one. He said that Hustler was aware of this. If they are why haven't they made recalls? It's a dangerous feeling. Also after about 25 hours of use the hydros have loosened up a bit. Not as tight and responsive as when I first used it. Is this normal? The hydro oil level is fine and the tracking is still even. Maybe I'm too picky..

9. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

for $10,000 you can afford to be picky

10. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

True. My dealer has invited me for hot dogs and a meeting with the local Hustler rep tomorrow.