problem with kawasaki 17hp v twin on exmark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by subs1000w, May 5, 2005.

1. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

model FH500V

it starts fine but when engaging the blades it bogges pretty bad and after a few seconds it recovers but when cutting it seems to just not run right it will slow down then speed back up again

i checked compression and both cylinders are 125-130psi

only thing ive come up with is i pulled both plugs and they look very different one looks rich (BLACK) and the looks really lean or hot (BRIGHT CLEAN SPARKLY WHITE POCELIN)

if you go here

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

and look at the spark plug pics one looks like (#3 or #7) the other looks like (#23 or #24)

spark plags are champion RCJ8Y

i dont see how one cylinder would run lean and the other rich because the engine only has one carb maybe a valve problem?

any help would be great

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just by looking at them plugs I would say the whiter plug is not firing,Thus the engine is only running on 1 cylinder,With one cylinder dead the governor is trying to get the RPM back up and it wont causing the bog and too much fuel to the good cylinder which is why that plug is black looking.
    Do this test leave the plug wire a little loose on the white plug,Start the engine and run about 1/4 throttle and remove the loose wire. Does the RPM drop ? Does the engine change tone ? If not the coil is most likely the problem.

14yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Tecumseh
    Honda
    Kawasaki
    Onan
    Robin
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Are your belts to tight just a thought

4. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

just checked and you were right i started the engine and while it was running unpluged the spark plug wire and the tone didnt change so i pluged it back in and did the same on the other side and the engine died so i made a trip the the parts place for a coil and $37 later it runns right again.

i just figured it would miss or not idle right with only one cylinder fireing but i guess not

thanks alot

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Glad I could be of help. :cool2:

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the Kawasaki club. I have had bad luck with coils on my Kaw engines. My Kohler and Honda Engines have 3 times as many hours and have never had a coil go bad on them.