Problem with Kohler 27hp fuel injected motor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SL&L, Jun 19, 2004.

1. SL&L

SL&L LawnSite Member

My 27hp kohler has about 300 hours on it. When mowing I notice a roughness and slight decrease in power, also when it's accerlated the exhaust emits black smoke for a few seconds. The motor has always been serviced regularly and uses absolutely no oil. The plugs were changed to no avail. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't know Kohler had a EFI 27hp but either way I had a 25HP kohler (POS) that did the black smoke thing and then we found out that the cylinder was scored. less than 100 hours and not run in adverse conditions.
    If its an efi then the computer should be able to diagnose it and with 300 hours I am thinking that you must still be under warranty. I would get it to the dealer and have them check it.

Of course you have to check that oil level is correct and that the air cleaner is on and doing its job. I am not a mechanic but I do know how frustrating it is to chase an intermittent problem.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Things you can do:

It's either a 26 or 28hp. Take it to your dealer for a computer diagnosis.

If you have a leak in the muffler or exhaust manifold gaskets the O2 sensor will call for more fuel and foul plugs.

Check the computer codes your mower is giving, post them in this thread and someone will help you.

Oldtimer

4. SL&L

SL&L LawnSite Member

The kohler motor is a 26hp vertical shaft. fuel injected. Oldtimer, at one point I noticed a loose muffler and tightened bolts. Thanks for the imput.