Problem with landscape lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cleancut, Nov 21, 2000.

1. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have a problem...I installed some landscape lights for a customer and all of them are not working..There are (12) 12watt lights and (3) 50 watt flood lights running 120 ft. I had to upgrade the transformer from 108 watts to 300 watts and all of the lights are still not running..The only other thing that I know to do is install a larger gauge wire..They're on a 16ga. wire now maybe a 12ga. will run all the light..Any suggestions????Thanks in advance...Clean-Cut

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sorry but gotta ask, are you getting power at the outlet or where its hot wired to? See if your getting power to box then slowly find where the power problem is also check fuses or trips when you had a lower power supply on it it might have tripped something?

3. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, check to make sure that you are getting power to the outlet. If you are getting power, make sure that the transfomer is getting power to the 12v outputs. On occasion I have trouble with the quick-clip connectors that one of the brands has. Check each connection if the above is ok. Post again when you find out what it was.

4. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

There's power to the outlet because the first 9 lights come on..Do you think the transformer is large enough.??I'm going to change the wire out on Tuesday...Hope that works..Happy Thanksgiving..Clean-Cut

5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

If the transformer is not large enough the circuit would trip. I think that you have a connection problem between the last light that works and the first that doesn't work. How many runs do you have leaving the transformer? Make sure the connection there is good. Another posibility, though doubtful is that you have a broken wire past the last light that works. Get a multimeter and check to see if there is any voltage past the last light that is working.

6. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Cleancut- The wire may need to be a 12-2 possibly a 10-2. I usually run that size for all my systems. Also if the transformer is 300w, make sure it is a true 300w. By that I mean that there are some trans. that are 2 150W cells.

7. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies...I think I'll go with a 12 ga. wire.Wish me luck .... thanks..Clean-Cut

8. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Finally got the lights fixed today..I had to run 12 ga. wire..Also had to run two separate runs from the transformer with equal wattage on each line...Light work just fine now..Another satisfied customer..Clean-Cut

9. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Nice job. Glad to hear the problem was easily corrected.