Problem with Lawn Genie L1034 valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DIYSprinkler, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DIYSprinkler

DIYSprinkler LawnSite Member

i am trying to set the flow control on a set of these valve but am having no success. Directions say to have the flow control turned off, turn the bled screw counterclockwise to turn the water on, adjust the flow control and then tighten (clockwise) the bleed screw to turn the water off. The flow does nothing when the bleed screw has the water on and tightening it does not shut the water off. The timer will turn the station on and off. Does the value have a problem?

2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. It has a problem. You will find the cause of the problem stamped right on top of the valve. Look for the words "Lawn Genie" and that is the source of your issue.

3. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever I adjust a flow control I start wide open on the flow control with the zone running either from the clock or valve and then adjust the flow control down until you see the sprinklers start to decrease.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Boots has no comment?

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't even know what a LG 1034 is. (okay, I googled it) I do know you don't use the bleed screw to operate a valve you are fine-tuning.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Then turn the flow control open 1 1/2 turns.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Then close the flow control 87 degrees, followed by opening it 91 degrees, and closing it 4 degrees.

8. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I find it handy to make a laminated pocket chart for my guys with these exact instructions on it. Gotta keep those flow controls set EXACTLY right. :dancing:

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

That's tuning a valve! :laugh:

10. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I have never used the flow control to regulate. Variations in water pressure greatly effects the operation. Even air temp, water temp, barometric pressure can change how they operate. It's like using the screw on spray nozzles to control distance, one day they spray 10' the next day they may not spray at all.