1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with lazer hp on inclines.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Sep 7, 2007.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Got a question for you folks who run the lazer hp. I use my deere 737 90% of the time but it has been in the shop for past 2 weeks so I have been using the lazer. The problem that I have is if you get on even the slightest incline, like the edge of a shallow ditch or a yard that is not flat, the right back tire spins badly with no traction. If I point the front down the incline and try to back up the right back tire spins to the point the mower will turn around to the right. If I point the back down then it still spins and turns sideway. If I go sideways on the incline, look out, you are going down to the bottom. I know the exmark has different hydros than the deere and maybe I'm just use to the 737 which has never done this, will climb a hill like a mountain goat. Did not know if there is an adjustment on the hydros because its always the right tire that does it. BTW, don't know if this makes a difference but I took the bagger off but still have the weights on the front, thought I would ask before I removed them. I miss my 737 too because as good as the exmarks are they don't cut bahai worth a ****!
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Get those front weights OFF!

Thats your problem.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

TLS, was fixing to remove them but did not think they would make that much difference. Since I sue the bagger some did not want to remove more than I had to. I will say, the rops are fixing to go too!
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The ROPS will remove weight from the rear....making it even worse.

Aren't the Vac weights just quick pin removable over the casters? Or are they different than full size Lazers?
  5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Mine will spin like that also and I dont have any weights on it. The only way I can do a hill is to go strait up and you have to go down backwards.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

I just found it odd that its always the right tire. I thought it was me but started making a mental note to make sure I was not pulling back further on the right stick.
  7. ALittleOffheTOP

ALittleOffheTOP LawnSite Member

I have the same problem only when my tanks are 1/2 full to almost empty. When both are full no spin problems.
  8. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I have one contract that has monster slopes on three sides. They are pretty hairy to say the least. There is one section I use a 21" push mower on because I have no problem manhandling it when I have to.

On the rest is why I have a Garden Tractor.
  9. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

alot of sometimes when you are going sideways on a slope. all the weight on one tire makes it alot harder for the tire to continue turning forward at times. watch closely at the bottom tire and youll notice that there are times when you have to push the stick forward harder than what you might think. it kind of fools you sometimes into thinking that the front end just shot down hill. you need to keep the front end slightly up hill when going straight across, if it gets angled downward at all on a steep place then your a living DOOM buggy. as long as you do exactly what i tried to explain then the mower will never go forward down a hill. it will slide down sideways with the front end slightly up the hill further than the rear. but really its stupid to ever do that. even if you start out at the beginning of the day with the correct tire pressure, all the bouncing the mower does makes the sidewall give to the sides and lets the air seep out slowly. or you might ride the steep slope all year long, then it gets cooler and the air pressure drops. then you might think, well.... ill just always check the air pressure before i go on something really steep. WRONG.... there is ALWAYS a time you dont remember, dont feel like it, no time too, or somebody else thinks it isnt necessary. the faster you go makes the mower bounce just that much harder and tries to make thetire roll off that much quicker. when a tire rolls off, the mower will SLAM the ground instantly. there is no delay or real cushion from the tire being on there. in my opinion there is ALOT greater chance that you wont be able to get off the mower in time before it crushes you or disfigures you for life. then mowing is no good. money is no good. saving time, no women, and being fed through a straw cause your paralized and begging people to kill you cause you no longer want to live. be careful. when you first get to be good on a z-turn you think you know the limits. then eventually youll find that you can ride even steeper things. and you might forget about the different things that can happen to a tire. or the wheel motor or pump can tear up. IT CAN AND WILL HAPPEN eventually to you on a brand new mower. use the search feature and search specifically for my posts. i have had two different instances when its happened and i was VERY fortunate i wasnt killed because i had just gotten through mowing steep dangerous slopes. thats what a walk-behind is for. when you get really good with it, you can mow slopes that sometimes youll be holding on to the mower just for YOU to stand on the hills. theres been people that i know that have mowed with z-turns for many many years and they roll them on some of the most least LOOKING dangerous places that you would never realise you could roll a z-turn. so remember to be careful stay alive and in good health and you are NEVER to good of an operator to keep from rolling a z-turn. you might mow a steep slope a whole year and your tires slowly move the dirt off a rock and uncover it. then your going along thinking everythings cool then suddenly you come across a small rock that has been uncovered through time or the winter when the ground freezes and hooves up and moves. rocks are slick. you might slide down a hill and even a small curb at the bottom could roll the tire off and you might flip onto pavement. slide into a creek,river lake or who knows what. maybe even run under a tree and a limb jab you in the eye,throat, and kill you. you might even go full speed under a tree with your head overtop of the sticks and the rops catch on a limb and send the front of the mower straight into the air and slam your throat down onto the sticks. sounds paranoid but i think paranoid is nothing but total awareness. TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. not sitting in o'charleys seeing somebody talking and thinking there talking about your mowing and it sucks:laugh: ... you also need to learn the lay of the ground. a bank or slope may not look steep but it may be. its just that you need to look at a driveway and see how steep it already is then look at the bank. the ground can make illusions to you and appear not very steep. graders that are really good can do it when they are leveling out a yard. they make the yard a slight incline going down the hill and a pretty little gradual rolling slope over onto a long tall bank. when you drive by it doesnt really look all that steep but its an illusion.when your on a hill watch closely at how the ground rolls because sometimes the steepest place on the bank isnt where you might think it is. good luck bud:waving:
  10. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Holy cow I got a headache trying to not lose my place reading the above post.:confused: Some body sell that man a paragraph or something.