Problem with Mulch Kit

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Larry Davis, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

PJ,
    I've got a 2004 model Super Z 60" old style deck. I ordered and received the mulch kit (part #346411). Following the directions exactly, I drilled the pilot holes 13/32" as instructed. The chute cover plate fits perfectly, however, there is a problem with the two inner baffles. The welded studs on both baffles miss lining up to the drilled holes by approximately 1/8 inch. Now, I know I can simply drill larger holes to make them fit but I do not think I should have to do this on a machine that costs this much and a mulch kit that cost $100. This should have been Precisely engineered! Have you heard of this problem before and what do you suggest I do? I am asking you this because the two closest dealers to me are 35 and 42 miles away and neither know very much about the Hustler products.
    Thanks,
    Larry Davis

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have not heard of this problem.
    Our kits usually fit perfect.
    E-mail me your info and model and serial # and I will see what I can find out for you.

Pj

3. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I had this problem too. I just cussed alot and needed to drill extra large hole to make the holes fits the plates. It was really a pain becuse of how thick the deck is to drill and how close the pilot hole was to the left hand pulley on the top side of the deck. So yes there is a defintie problem with the sizing and placement of the mulch plate bolts and the pilot holes on the deck. You are not alone.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Larry,
    You should have a e-mail from our customer service department in your inbox.

Pj

5. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

PJ,
    Yes, I got an email reply but I sure didn't like the answer. One of my choices is to drill larger holes as "markindetroit" had to do. Randy Jantz from Hustler said these baffles are not precision made and that I can either return them to the dealer and see if another pair might fit or drill larger holes. As you well know, holes in the deck can be a pain in the neck when you are side discharging instead of mulching because the holes need to be plugged with a bolt ....... the bigger the hole, the bigger the bolt and this increases the headache of deck scraping during spring and summer mowing. I just do not understand how a manufacturer can put pilot holes in a deck and not make absolutely sure the baffles are not made to fit exactly!

6. markindetroit

from detroit

Larry,
    I completely agree with you. Why even put pilot holes in place when they don't line up with the intended part that is suppose fit there? I would think that the people designing such a part would make sure the part fits the pattern, or in the directions specify a larger drill hole to begin with to compensate. Apparently, if you want to install the mulch kit, your going to have to compensate yourself, or just not install it. I don't think your going to get a good answer as to why the parts aren't designed to fit like we would expect them to be. Too bad, but it does call into question how other things are designed on these machines and whether things are " made to fit" rather than designed to fit.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

We sell thousands of mulch kits a year, and I never hear any complaints on this.
    In fact I have installed many myself and not a had a single problem.
    Now there is the possibility that some came out of our weld shop mis-welded, and this may be the case here, I just don't hear about it.
    This is why I wanted to get our guys back at the factory involved, they can trace it down and find out where the problem lies.

Pj

8. markindetroit

from detroit

PJ
    As I wrote, I did have this problem. I just never wrote on this message board about my experience because I just assumed that all these parts were made like this and I installed it over a weekend and opted to drill our my deck rather than go through a bunch of emails complaining about something that wouldn't get resolved. If you want, I can send the technians my baffles to measure and compare to what I am saying. I am surprised this hasn't surfaced before, but I suspect that others just modified the deck like I did rather than return the items.
    Let me know if you want the baffles for an exchange. Also, what exactly are we suppose to plug the holes in the deck with when we take the baffles off so grass isn't blown through the holes? I would have thought that these would have been part of the kit assembly we bought.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You should of let us know.

Pj

10. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

PJ,

I had the same problem. I couldnt get the discharge opening plate to fit. I followed the directions and the only way to make it fit would be to bend it or drill out the hole. I made call to the dealer where I bought my mower. They came out and picked it up. They had to bend it just alittle for it to fit. I thought it wasn't right to have to bend it for it to fit.

Mike