1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with my Metro 36 WB

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by loborojo338, Apr 7, 2007.

1. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

I have a 36 Metro and have noticed that it does not have the speed it used to have. 4th gear feels more like 2nd. Is there some type of adjustment I can do?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for writing in with your question...it's a common one.

Most of our belt systems these days are self-tensioning, the Metro Transmission belt however is not. If you look directly in front of the transmission you will see an arched slot with a carriage bolt in it, this is the tensioning idler puller mount. Get under the machine and with a 9/16" socket loosen the mounting nut. Now slide the pulley over to tighten the belt, and then tighten that nut back up.

A couple things, don't over-tighten that belt it should only take 3-lbs of side pull to deflect that belt 1/2" (fish scale and tape measure works good) between trans and engine pulleys. Secondly look at the belt, does it have a shiny appearance? If it does, you may have slipped the belt enough that it's become glazed and probably should be replaced.

Something that very few people realize is that belt should actually be adjusted 2-3 times in the first 25 hours of operation. From there it's probably seated and stretched as much as it ever will.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us again.