Problem with my nieghbor need advice!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Houstonguy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Houstonguy

Houstonguy LawnSite Member

So my nieghbor has cancer he is up in age I would guess upper 60's. So when he was going through treatments he was very ill and didnt come out of his house. So when I had time I would mow his lawn for him. I did it for like 2 months straight. So I came home 2 weeks ago and he mowed all the grass I have outside of my fence which is about 5 feet to the street. Well my prob is he cut it at about 2 1/2 inches!! its st. augistine and we are reaching upper 90's and flirting with 100's over here! so the rest of my lawn is at 4 inches except for the area outside of my fence. He was so excited he told me he had extra energy and wanted to return the favor man he was sooo happy! So I let it slide, I came home today and he cut it again! I either cant find the words to tell him thanks but no thanks or I just dont have the heart to do it. IF you guys saw his face you would feel guilty too, the guy was happy. So what to do? let my grass burn in the sun? or tell him to stop it?
  2. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him how grateful you are..but explain the Grass needs to be cut higher or it will burn. He obviously doesn't know that. I think he would be glad to raise his mower to do it. Or tell him your mower is already set for the right height so he don't need to mess around raising his..He'll understand I'm betting. Geno
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We are 110 plus all the time here and St Augustine gets cut at that height with no problems. We all have irrigation here so that probably helps.

Cudo's for you for taking care of your neighbor and not flipping out over something trivial. Your a great American :usflag:
  4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

My advice would be to simply say thanks. As you get older, you will realize that things we perceive as important, such as 5 feet of grass, really aren't. The grass will be around again next year. Your neighbor might not be.
  5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

we cut st augustine all the ime at 2 1/2 inches. it doesnt seem to be a problem or burn when it is cut at this height on a regular basis. the turf seems to develop lower to compensate and it does fine.
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

try to explain it to him or train your grass to be cut at that height!

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

just grass ,be glad it was mowed ..........................
  8. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same situation with an ill neighbor that would try to "help me out" by cutting a section of my St. Aug. to the dirt....he passed away later that summer and his wife sold the house and moved took about 2 years for that section of grass to get back to normal. It really used to piss me off but due to his situation I would bite my tongue.
  9. KatKutter

KatKutter LawnSite Member

Just grass my friend. Life sometimes makes us judge choices like this. Myself. I think I would let the old fellow just mow his heart out. Like another post said the grass will be back, long after he you and all of us are under it. Just a thought. Good luck.
  10. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

this business is obviously a passion for most of us, but for the same reasons we give discounts to seniors and disabled, are the same reasons you dont have the heart to tell this guy you dont like do have a heart.