Problem with not cutting in center of deck

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by markindetroit, Aug 30, 2005.

1. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I have a problem that I have noticed in cutting this year. When I am cutting longer grass (6-7") I always have an area directly in the middle of the cutting deck that does not cut. I have a a super Z with a 60" deck. I changed to the mulch blades this year with the mulch kit and the blow out kit. I didn't have this problem last year with the standard blades. I am open to suggestions on what could be the problem. Thanks in advance.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Mark,
    Which mulch blades are you using?

Pj

3. markindetroit

from detroit

I am using the mulch blades you specified in a prior thread. They are the Hustler brand mulch blades with the product code you supplied. I ordered them through my Hustler dealer.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Wavy type or Gator's? we offer both.

5. markindetroit

from detroit

I am not sure which type the blade is called. It is a straight blade that the cutting edge extends to close to the mounting hole. I'd have to see if I have the invoice from the dealer to be specific on the part number. You had given me the part numbers in a thread earlier, but hell if i can find that thread now.

6. markindetroit

from detroit

I found the post you replied to my questions prior. Here is the the part number:

"793380 Blade (optional) mulch, flat, clockwise rotating"

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like you have the Gator's.
    Gators can cause what your describing if the grass is wet or has some moisture in it.
    Please make sure your deck belt is tight, your engine RPM's are set to where they belong and your deck isn't packed with grass.
    I would try that first.
    Now if you cant avoid moisture in the grass, we recently started offering a "wavy" type blade, it is part # 793380 for the 60" decks, it will proved a great cut in any conditions.

Pj

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Also....
    Cutting that taller grass, especially with the blow out kit on, the longer grass may be getting pushed down to the point where the blade is not lifting it to be cut.
    How does it do on average length grass 3, 4, and 5 inches?

9. markindetroit

from detroit

I had been thinking that this may be the problem. It seems to happen with longer grass and the portion that is not cut is about 4-6" wide, mostly only in the center of the deck. Some of the grass has been 2-5 inches with longer spindle like pieces but not allows moist, especially this summer.. It is like the portions get pushed over and them pop back up, but only in the center.
    So if I use the blow out kit, will the new blades solve this problem or is it being caused solely from the blow out kit?

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

In the taller grass, it will likely still happen, no matter what blades you use.
    The key is to not to take off to much grass in one pass.

Pj