Problem with parts distributor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Aug 26, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have what I consider a real problem with a well-known parts distributor that several people including myself have recommended here in the past. Specifically, I ordered a transmission for the Wb, it's the Tecumseh model 700-0700 5 speed (get this: R N 1 2 3 4 *5*) peerless.

First of all, the distributor doesn't carry the 700-0700 which is listed in the catalog, but sends out various cross-referenced trannies.

The first I got was the 700-068 which, after I asked the guy on the phone if it was a 5 speed, he assured me it was, thou it is made for the Gravely, I figured so long it was RN12345, it would work on the Toro. Nope, what I got was a tranny with a slightly different shift-mechanism so where the shift handle attaches, that is not the same. I took the old transmission and swapped the shift mechanisms and installed it on the Wb, only to discover after much frustration that this one is really a 4-speed (RN1234) which I was able to confirm by removing the cover again and seeing it really only had four gears for the forward speeds, at which time I replaced the original shifter part and called the distributor.

Second transmission was the 700-069 or something, again not the 700-0700, again after a detailed explanation that I needed a RN12345 tranny, at least the shift mechanism was correct but before I went through the trouble of installing it, I used the shifter handle on the tranny to check it out, and discovered this was also a RN1234.

By now I'm out 400 dollars which of course they will refund as soon as I send these 2 back so a third one was sent: You guessed it: The third one that came in today is yet ANOTHER RN1234!!!! and NOT Rn12345!!!!

This is after going through the rigmarole step by step three times, we went through everything including the fact that some folks refer to the Reverse gear as an extra speed (so a 5-speed is in effect an RN1234) and blablabla... I told them I didn't care what they called it so long I got one that had all the gears R + N + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + *5* ! So now I'm holding 600 dollars on my credit card and 3 completely useless (to me at least) transmissions as I can not tolerate the slower top speed of the RN+1234, I need my RN+12345 and would really prefer it be a 700-0700 but whatever, I am very leery of ordering yet another one, my credit card can't float but so much of an empty balance before someone has to pay a chunk or the interest (at 21.9%), either way...

Of course I am sure they'll send me the return shipping slips but I have to take them to a FedEx office, it still involves time and labor thou it is awrite the shipping they pay for... But they have to inspect each tranny before they issue a refund, which I'm scared with their currently evident case of the dumbazz, would I get a refund or would it somehow get lost in this establishing nightmare?

The company is located in Michigan and I am very tempted to hop in my car to drive up there (a 660 mile drive) first to ensure I get the $600+ back, second to see if maybe I can get the correct transmission (I'll bring the shifter handle along), because I'm at wits end, the 2nd wrong tranny was pushing things, the 3rd one about blew a fuse, I can't tolerate a 4th wrong one, this has been going on since June and my Wb is still down.

What would you do?
    (p.s.: yeah it's J-t..., can you believe that?)

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Order it from a local Tecumseh dealer in the first place?

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

LMAO:laugh:

....or from a Toro dealer. I think paying a little extra would be worth it to avoid all the downtime.:hammerhead:

4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Thats to bad. I just put in 2 new hydro pumps that only JT had and saved me $300 approx over Exmark. Exmark changed the numbers and tried to make me buy the new version, which is rediculous, like there new deck and service dept. Anyway I have ordered over a $1000 worth of parts this year with no mistakes. Makes you wonder who is answering the phone ???? What did Toro tell you?

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

First off...there is no such transmission as a 700-0700. There is a 700-070 and a 700-070A. It would be 700-XXX where XXX are numbers and possibly followed by a letter.

And I agree with the others. Maybe try your local Tecumseh/Peerless dealer or even Toro dealer and get the right part the 1st time.