problem with permagreen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mustang_52, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mustang_52

mustang_52 LawnSite Member

Ive had my permagreen centri for about 3 years an ii'm quite familiar with all the common problems but I can't figure this one out. The drive belt consistantly falls off at random times. Ive tried new belts, tighten the clutch for the idler and played around with the belt guides but it somehow finds a way to work its way off even though the guides appear to not allow it to pop off. Does anyone have this problem or have a solution. I notice that the newer centris have an actual clutch with throttle adjustment. Mine doenst have that. Im wondering how hard it would be to convert it over to that system.

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Mustang, I had a problem with one of the pulleys moving up ( sliding up the shaft ) towards the transmission after time, then it would pop off the belt because its not lined up with the other pulleys.

Pg sent me 3 replacements until the final one worked, I would guess your pulleys are not lined up perfect so within in time the belt just works it way off.

3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Mustang,

Try a smaller belt.
    I had the same trouble and Pat? at pg suggested a smaller belt.
    It worked like a charm.

4. mustang_52

mustang_52 LawnSite Member

Do they have the smaller belt or do i just goto an auto store?

5. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Yup, auto store , all belts are pretty much the same, Bring in the old one so they can measure it against it

6. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

New belt worked for me after having the same problem. I got one 1" shorter. The only problem with the shorter belt (45" vs 46") is that the sucker wanted to take off the second I started it.....I didn't even have to use the clutch. After using it a day or so, the new belt stretched and became useable.

There IS a difference in belts. Get one specifically for heavy use, such as belts designed for drive systems. Don't use one made for fan belts, etx. I prefer the one with Kevlar. The certainly last longer and this new belt was only $10 vs $6 for other el cheapo's.