Problem with PG spraying(Ultra)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Dec 6, 2006.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Am I the only one who continue to have problems with the spraying system?
    I have replace the pumps,diaphrams,spray tips and everything in between and
    continue to have pressure problems.PG suggested today that try a 2gpm
    pump has anyone tried this?
  2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to John at PG today about that, we have 2 gpm pumps on our Centris but I've not put one the Ultras yet. You may have an electrical problem with your Ultra. Try hooking a good battery directly to you spray pump and see if that helps. Your pump may also be sucking air from a loose suction line. Also, check the unloader on the top of the tank. If you're still having problems, pm me and I'll give you my phone #
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You have a PM.
  4. scweedman

I thought the battery was just for starting the machine? I replaced the diaphram yesterday there is no flow going into the tank,if i remove the
    valve I get a flow out of the hose.This valve may be bad?
    When i try to spray I have good pressure out of the one tip, either one
    i choose but the other one spits and drips. Its like the pressure isn't
    enough to work on both.

Thanks Guys!
  5. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

You shouldn't get much flow from the unloader on the tank. Check the #'s on the cap, should be a #20 on the tank and on the nozzles it should be a #10 or a #8, check with John at PG to be sure.
    The battery is used for spraying too, if it's going bad the sprayer won't work too well. With the machine not running, does your sprayer work? Either way, connect a good battery to the spray system, a car battery or tractor battery works fine and see what happens. If it still only sprays out of 1 side, check your pump and the suction side to the tank. A loose fitting or clamp anywhere can cause the pump to suck some air and loose pressure. Let me know if this helps.
  6. scweedman

I'll try it today and let u know!
  7. profigala

profigala LawnSite Member

We had the same prob. with ours and finnaly we decided to replace it with a magnum.
  8. scweedman

Hopefully the problem is taken care with the new system. You can see
    what the problems were on old models when they change on the new model.
    I have never changed the battery so that could be my problem or the selnoid.
    I'm going to try the bat. first.
  9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to state the obvious, but you said you changed nozzles. Did you happen to pull the screens out of the nozzle body and clean them off. I keep an old toothbrush in the toolbox for just this use, as spreader stickers will sometimes cause them to gum up, as will misc. herbicide formulations. Marc
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I second the idea that it is electrical. Corrosion in the wireing is everywhere. If there is a poor connection due to corrosion in the wireing you will not have enough volts to push the pump. You need adequate amps too. Put a volt meter on any hot wire--like the pump switch for instance. It should read about 12.8 volts. Anything under 12.4 probably is too low. Put a battery charger on one of the hot wires for a few hours. I actually replaced the battery with a small motorcycle battery.