Problem with Red Oak

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by soonerman, May 11, 2008.

1. soonerman

soonerman LawnSite Member

I live in Oklahoma City and recently planted two Red Oaks.

They were B&B types of trees.

They look great at the nursey.

It has been about two weeks since I planted them and the leaves are starting to wilt.

They soil is clay rich so I dug the holes bigger than they need to be and had some top soil.

It has been pretty wet over the last week or so due to the stroms.

Any ideas or do I just need some patients
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Have some patience. You more than likely have some shock going on. Did you buy them wholesale or retail? I only ask because you might have a warranty on them. I've known a couple of companies who were doing the wholesale business, planted $5000 in plants, and had to cover them when they all died. I don't mind spending a little extra buying plants from a retailer and have them cover the plants.

If you end up replanting them, try using a power auger, or post hole digger in the center of your hole and fill it with fill sand or just better dirt. This has worked for me when I thought I did a good job digging the hole out bigger in heavy clay soil. I lost two trees in a row, dug a well in the center, had no problems since.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Some Causes for decline in trees and plants in general are.
      • Planting too deep but that usually takes more time to cause problems
      • Air pockets that allow fungus to grow but you need some warm soil for that and they will be fine one day and look dead the next day with a fungus. The leaves will be dried and shriveled and still attached
      • If your rootball is a different soil type than the clay and the surrounding clay is dry the clay will act like a sponge and draw the moisture away from the rootball. Even though you may be watering the tree it may not e getting the benefit of it.
      • Damaging the rootball during transport or while planting will usually show right away as the tree will be unable to take up water or nutrients
        • Too much water looks a lot like not enough water, old growth/leaves yellowing first is a sign of too much water wilty new growth or tips is not enough water
      My best guess is either too much or too little water.
  4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you didn't cover or tarp the trees while transporting them.
  5. soonerman

JNyz...this maybe a stupid question.

I did not know that I should cover them while transporting.

I transported them rough 40 miles in the back of pickup they were laying down and roughly half of the tree was covered but the tops were sticking out the back.

So if the transporting of the trees was the I still have a chance that they will make it or did I sign my own fate by being cheap?
  6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Exactly what I thought, but that would show that or the next day, did it?
  7. soonerman

It took me a week or so after I got them home to get them into the ground.

They looked good until I planted them about a week ago.
  8. JNyz

it would if you were checking it out everyday???
  9. soonerman

JNzy...not sure I understand your last post.

If it is due to poor transporting and being beaten by the wind do you think the tree is lost?
  10. JNyz

Hey Soonerman,

To me it seems like something happened from the time of purchase to the actual install. What size caliper were they? Can you post a pic? Did you water them everyday while they were sitting. Just retrace your steps and let us know. From your last two posts I would guess the transporting of them did some damage. They are not gone until all the leaves fall off. Post a pic and let us see.

J Nyz