1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with running doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by subdube, Sep 7, 2003.

1. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

I put double standard bobcat blabes on for the first time a couple of days ago. They cut very well but i got covered with grass. The grass was comming over the front of the mower. Should i go with a gator and a standard blade or two gators. The mower is a Bobcat walk behind 48'' cut 15 HP.
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Double high lifts has never worked well for me. For the top blade I use either a regular Gator (fall leaves) or a "reverse" Gator (the rest of the time).
  3. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

likestomow what is the difference with regular or reverse gators on the blow back? which on top?
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

sub, sounds like 'blow out', increased lift causing cuttings to be air blown out from under deck. What's your deck pitch?
  5. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

Rustic, I don't understand what you mean by deck pitch. It is a 48'' fixed deck. The front of the deck is straight down pointing to the ground. Is this what your asking.
  6. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Deck pitch is the slant from the drive wheels to the castor wheels. I believe the correct pitch should be about 1/2 inch. This means the front of the deck should be lower by that amount.

My 48 Scag has blow-out when I run doubles. I have found that it is minimized by running the following combination.

On the left side (non discharge) I put a standard blade on the bottom and Gator on the top. Same for the middle spindle. Then on the discharge side spindle I put a super-highlift and a Gator. For me- this combination really shreds the leaves, doesn't cause TOO much blow-out and the super high lift blade really disperses the clippings very nicely.

I think the "reverse" Gator they are referring to is a blade sold by J-Thomas. The Gators are slanted one way at a 45 degree angle but I think J-Tomas blades are twisted the other way. I don't know if it makes a difference- I have never run the TRUE Gator blades.
  7. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

Thanks heybruck34 i will try that combination and for the deck pitch that is about what i have just by looking at it.
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Both my Bobcats were pretty bad with blowout running doubles. In the summer I really got covered with dirt. As I remember the Gators weren't to bad. You can also try low lift blades.
  9. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I am running doubles and have thet same problem with my metro hp. It has the exmark mulch blades on the top an the high lifts on the bottom. I know you guys will probably tell me to run some gators but I would like to here some other options.
  10. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

Switchless are you still running doubles and if so are they both gators.