1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with sabotage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MP350, May 4, 2005.

1. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

On one of commercial accounts for the past month someone has been breaking the irrigation in at least 3 different spots, usually the day before I arrive to mow. I have gone to visit the property at different times to try to catch them but no luck. I am assuming that someone is after the account and is trying to make me look bad. I have talked with the owner to inform him of the situation and he is going to let me know if any recent offers for service have been made. Any thing else I can do?
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you could camp on the grounds and keep watch. lol.

you sure it's not some kids just messing with it? how is it broken? if it's the actual pipe, somebody would notice. if there just messingwith the heads, I would lean towards vandals.
  3. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Some heads have been just unscrewed but this week the pipe was broken inside the bushes( as in snapped in two) and 1 rotor was broken off at the elbow. Last week 3 rotors ad the tops smashed, like someone hit them with a hammer.
  4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I would hope someone who calls himself a professional would not stoop to sabotage. But as many times as you say its happened and where (in the bushes where there less likely to be seen) I would suspect sabotage to.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This kind of damage happens all the time at commericial sites most of it is kids of varous ages thinking it is smart. Any head that is about the ground is easy pickings!! If they want to really mess with you they would go at the controller-be sure you got extra lock beyond the normal lock if it is outside. And the other thing they do is go into valve boxes and cut ground. Sometimes I think it is disgruntled employees!
  6. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Been mow this account for 6 years and in that time I have had kids mess with the irrigation, most of it was just unscrewing the heads. This is all out breakage, and every week for the past month. Right now I have turned off the irrigation hoping to discourage them. Don't think it's an employee ,Doctor office, and I am a solo operator.
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

So are you charging extra to repair the damage?

DFW Area Landscaper