problem with scag turf tiger 27hp kawaski

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brianslawncare, Mar 27, 2008.

1. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

having a problem with 27hp kawaski, it wont charge the battery.the mower runs great but after mowing 8to 10 yards ,the mower wont start i change the battery and away i can go.is there a alternator like a truck that can be faulty? fuses are all good, battery is two years old,cant find any loose or broken wires. thanks*trucewhiteflag*

1997 ford 4x4 dump
    1993 chevy 1500
    1995 20 foot trailor
    scag turf tiger 27 kawi liquid cooled
    scag tiger cub 19 kawi
    scag belt drive 15kawi

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

It has an alternator, but it's rather different than your truck.
    With the engine running at high speed, measure the V at the battery terminals. It should be around 14ish.

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Are the fuses between the seat and contol panel side good? If the fuse is bad it won't charge. If it has a bad fuse replace it and charge the battery good. I had a simliar issue last year and this fixed it.

4. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

I would check the charge at the battery. I thought the generator was part of the starter on these motors.

5. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

Brian I had the EXACT same problem last year. Found 1 of the 2 exterior fuse holders was defective due to grime and grease and dirt. I checked the fuse itself and it was good. I cut out the old fuse holder and installed new one and had problem corrected. Many Thanks to Scag Tech Support Help. Also you can download the manuals from scags website and it will have a wiring schematic in it.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

do the blades still engage ok? i bet you its the voltage regulator!!! its the little grey box with fins on the side of the engine.