1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with solo wand leaking

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by matthew horner, Jun 17, 2005.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new solo wand for my bp sprayer a few weeks ago. Problem is , when I drive, it bounces a little and drips herb into the wind, and back on anything behind me including my mower's seat! Anyone else had this problem, and did you fix it?
  2. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I have had similar problems with Solos. If you can return it and buy a SP1 backpack sprayer, you would be better off. If you have to keep the solo, then get a check valve for the very end of the wand and that should fix the problem. You can get one from Ben Meadows.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it leaking at the handle, or at the nozzle? In either case, there are replacement washer for this. Sometimes, they get screwed down too tight, and compressed. After that, they are too smushed and don't seal properly.
  4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

leaking from the tip or from the joint? Please tell me that you're not spraying from a moving mower!
  5. matthew horner

It is leaking from the tip. I store it at the front of my trailer, and as i drive the drips become mist and end up on my equipment, and it is generally not a good thing!
  6. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Not sure which model you have, but when you drive, is it stored in the wand grasps on the handle or loose in the bed?

If it's loose, that might be your prob, bounces around in the bed, handle gets hit, sprays a bit.
  7. matthew horner

Yes its stored in the wand grasps so the trigger is'nt moving. Besides I lock the trigger. I use turf dye so its easy to see the spray drips all over everything.
  8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got 10 SP 3s and I use the Solo wand on them.
    I bought 10 Solo wands with hose and tube and everything but tank to use with my SP 3s .
    They often leak , I unscrew the cap where the spring is located on the wand and spray a lubricant in it.
    It helps .
    I've only had this problem recently and it sucks .
    We can’t have it dripping dye, herbicide or insecticide every where .
    I like the solo wands best but I’m soooo tired the the leaks .
    I quit using Solo BP because it would leak from the lid and soak my back .

I must of got a bad batch of wands .

9. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

You can purchase new o ring kits for the wand to stop the leaking. Sprad a little vaseline on the o rings periodically to help keep the seal. The Lesco backpacks are made by solo. They carry the replacement parts.
  10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have a pair of SP0s and have used them heavily this year with no problems. Plenty of agitation and pressure, with no leaks! I don't think they come built much better than these. Northerntool.com sells them if you are interested...