Problem With St. Augustine.-- Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnbridge, Apr 17, 2008.

1. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

What Is Wrong With My Customers St. Augustine? I Am New To St. Augustine And Have Been Told It Is A Fungus. Help Please.

100_3518.jpg

100_3519.jpg

2. lawnbridge

Here Are Two More Pics.

100_3520.jpg

100_3521.jpg

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

looks exactly like my mothers lawn.... happened at the end of last season. Personally, I believe it was TOO much water, (if thats at all possible)... (she was out of town and her irrigation control box got screwed up and the water remaining running over and over and over... like 4-5 cycles a day for a week..) Weeds shot up like crazy soon after. I'm in the middle of rehabing the lawn now...

Somebody else told me chinchbugs.... they love St. Aug. grass...
    I'm stumped myself...

4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

The lawns have been slow coming out this year. But this look like several problems going on at once; poor watering, low fertility, disease . . .

Don't guess. Take a sample to your county extension service.

5. lawnbridge

I was thinking of taking a sample to the county extension. I was thinking overwatering and lack of good fertilizer. I laid this sod last year and it was beautiful. I do not take care of yard, mowing or treatments. He has some ol guy that has done the mowing and I assume fertilizing forever. Yet, he now is calling asking me what's wrong with his grass.

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Lot's of pecans. Is it under a tree? Could be left over brown patch damage from last Fall or earlier this spring. Looked like a lesion or 2 on some leaf blade in first close up pic. CYA( Take a fresh sample and have it checked)

7. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

was there any frost there are the stolons(runners) green

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Could be a lot of things but likely to be old Brown Patch damage (Rhizoctonia Solani) or even Take-all-patch. Typically active B.Patch disease attacks at the middle of the leaf blade and it tends to simply fall over at the site of the lesions. Bring a sample to your county extension agent for diagnosis. If it is T.A.P, you may have problems controlling it as not many fungicides are effective. Eagle and Immunox appear to be fairly effective but like many fungicides require repeated app.s for complete control. From the pics is does look like poor fertility levels. Fertilize the turf with a slow release fert. of your choice and watch for recovery. St. Augustine is pretty tuff stuff so chances are it will recover with a proper fert./disease/insect control program. Hope this helps but I am more than a few years (and zones) away from dealing with St. Aug'y.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

Texas has reported a lot of Take All Root Rot (Gaeumannomyces, graminis, graminis. Ggg) this past season. Ggg is a disease of stressed St Augustine. Lack of Fertilizer along with bad cultural practises will certainly bring on Ggg. Look very early in the Morning for white webbing on top of the ground. look for short black roots and crowns that have black spots.

I am not good with pictures, I like to be there and see, feel, and smell what I am trying to diagnose. But IMHO the turf looks hungry

10. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Holy Moses! Ric and I agree on something?! Perhaps the apocalypse is upon at last. Look out for the 4 horseman comin over the hill or even (shudder) the Cubs winning the World Series this year. Just kidding Ric.