1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem with Stihl BR400 blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Apr 17, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

My Stihl BR400 blower is acting up. It is 5 years old and I just changed the plug and filter. It starts up fun but after using it for 5-10 minutes, it shuts down. Any idea why?
  2. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I kinda had the same problem. Mine would start cold fine but once it got hot.....forget it. I would also try the coil.. My Stihl dealer told there is a lifetime warranty on those. Also check your trigger switch, I yanked on mine for 15 mins. once I got tired my guy came over , turned switch off then on and fired it rightup!! Mine is about 5 yrs old, and once its running its fine. Just little stuff going wrong now.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

does it shut down when it acts up or start running crappy then slowly die?

if it is the latter you got a carb problem. you need to adjust those jet screws.

I am having a different problem.

mine generally starts good but then it frequently runs about two seconds and shuts down. and it is really hard to start after that.

I usually change the plug to a dry one and clear the gas outta the cylinder. sometimes I have to do this a couple of times.

the spark arrestor screen is clear.

I'm thinking it is time for a carb rebuild.:eek:

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

fuel filter?
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for spark. If no spark, then its the coil.
  7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

loosen your gas cap. If you here a sucking sound it means the cap is bad and wont breath. The cap needs to draw air or a vacuum is created by the carb drawing fuel. At a point the fuel wont flow anymore. Get a new cap.
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What about the fuel line? I used to have to change the fuel line in my old FS80 every year or two.
  9. the gravely man

the gravely man LawnSite Member

I would try the gas cap too. I have a Stihl chainsaw that would run then die I took it to a respectable place to get fixed and they put a carb kit in and plug and said it was good to go.I took it out and it did the same thing again and come to find out the cap was not venting:mad: all that money for a gas cap:rolleyes: