problem with stihl fc-110 edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSIM, Oct 3, 2007.

1. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I bought this used and although it starts up 1st time and runs great, I can't get a good smooth edge with it.

It leaves the grass edge, jagged and torn instead of cut.

I have a stihl fc-75 that will leave a great edge not matter how worn down the blade is.

I noticed on this fc-110 that the end of the blade gets tappered really quick. I'm not sure if thats the problem but the result is the same even with a new blade.

I have used it on an unkept lawn where the grass was grown over the curb and it cut through it like butter; however, the edge is not clean, its very jagged and rough.

The edger is only a year or two old. Any help appreciated.

2. trdtundra00

trdtundra00 LawnSite Member

do you edge with the main wheel on the concrete or grass? Mine does a better job if i have the wheel on the concrete with the open side of the blade against the grass.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i think the straight shaft edgers for some reason dont cut as cleanly as the curved shaft ones . my redmax straight shaft doe s an aweful job and i no longer use it as it looks unproffesional. i dont notice this as much with my sthil straight 110 but i only use it on extreme edging jobs

4. DSIM

main wheel on concrete

5. DSIM

I was wondering if its because of the straight shaft. Now since you say that your Redmax ss does a bad job, it seems that it might be the reason.

The FC-110 is too pricey to be only good for 1st time edging or extreme edging.:cry:

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have the FC-95, which is essentally the same as the 110, just a bit less power and $$$. Mine dosn't cut well either unless it's a pretty much new blade, but I found the solution! SHARPENED BLADES! I took a few of my standard blades and sharpned the edges of them to see the results and it was MUCH improved. Plus I can get a lot more life out of a blade becaue I can wear it down further before it starts to miss stuff. I feel that it also just cuts faster and with less strain on the motor just because it's not slinging a blunt edge thru the dirt.

Give it a try. If you like the results, the pre-sharpened ones are the same price as the un-sharpened from landscaper pro . com. ($1.35 each when you buy 50+)

7. DSIM

interesting, thanks for the info.

8. DSIM

I'm wondering if the fc-110 has the same blade speed as the curved shaft models. It seems to have a lot more torque but less rpm's.

Kind of like the echo 261t that I have. It took a while to get used to because of the different gear size. It doesnt wind out like the 230 model I had.

More torque less rpm's seems good for heavy duty use but for weekly manicuring lawns its of little use and I would say worse than less torque higher rpm's.

A comparison could be a sportbike vs a cruiser. Sportbikes have higher hp than torque and can double the amount of rpm's of a cruiser. A cruiser has more torque than horsepower and needs more than twice the amount of engine size or more to keep up with a sportbike.

I chose the sportbike. I've got a 07 Kaw zzr600.

9. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We own 2 of the same edger and have the same issue. I used to have a curved shaft edger and it worked down to the nub. I have found the same thing when the blades are new they work fine but when worn they don't do as good. I will try the sharping thing on them.

10. DSIM

funny how nobody said anything about this when this edger first came out. all i heard was it was the industry "bad boy" - best out there.