Problem with Stihl FS36

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chris Jones, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones LawnSite Member

Hi, i have a Stihl FS36 that i brought from a work mate, anyway when i brought it it wouldnt rev out properly, and it idled too high, as soon as i dropped the idle it dies.
    Ive replaced spark plug, cleaned out muffler, took out mesh spark arrester, and cleaned air filter. Also striped and blew out carbie, everything is spotless and looks fine.
    But now it will start and only run for about 5 seconds, then stops. I have mixture screws at Low@1.25turns and Hi@1.5 turns out. Not sure what else to try?
    Any help appreciated, cheers.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't see anything about the fuel filter, Was it replaced ? There is a fuel screen inside the carb., It will varnish over and look good until you spray carb. choke cleaner through it then you can see how it was clogged.

3. Chris Jones

Chris Jones LawnSite Member

Thanks for reply, i forgot to mention i pulled the fuel filter off and tried it with no filter, same problem. Its now back on, fuel flows thru all fuel lines, theres also heaps of compression and nice spark, it might be going for a trip to the tip shortly. Will probably buy a new Honda four stroke i think.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried quick start into the carb to see if you can keep the unit running beyond the 5 seconds? Any chance the fuel lines are not tight onto the carb? Any if this unit has a purge line are you sure you didn't get them switched around? If this is a two stoke it will run, don't give up on 2 stroke stuff.

5. Battleaxe

Battleaxe LawnSite Member

Fuel mixture screws probably need to be 2+ on low, screw idle screw all the way in, high at 1.5 is probably to much, a Stihl FS36 is only a Ryan engine after all, same engine as a Ryobi :cry: