Problem With STIHL Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithco Lawncare, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Smithco Lawncare

Smithco Lawncare LawnSite Member

We have 3 older STIHL trimmers that are used every day. In the middle of the day they all start acting up. They keep dying over and over. We just had the carburetor's rebuilt, new spark plugs, and new filters installed. It's like they get too hot and just die. Gets really annoying when you're trying to work. Any idea what the problem could be? Weird because they work fine for a few hours, then they start acting up.

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds to me like the coils are heating up and not firing. I know the older trimmers had a lifetime ignition warranty so you might check with your dealer.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All 3 trimmers wouldn't have a coil problem at the same time. More than likely it's a fuel or oil issue. What are you using for fuel and oil. Specifically? What ratio?

4. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would check the spark arrestor screens and either clean or remove the screens.

5. Smithco Lawncare

My 2 other STIHL's that I've had for about 2 month never have had a problem. I use the STIHL brand oil mix that makes 2.5 gallons. I do exactly as the bottle says 2.5 gallons of gas then the bottle of oil. So 6.4oz per 2.5gallons
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Smithco Lawncare

My 2 other STIHL's that I've had for about 2 month never have had a problem. I use the STIHL brand oil mix that makes 2.5 gallons. I do exactly as the bottle says 2.5 gallons of gas then the bottle of oil. So 6.4oz per 2.5gallons
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What gasoline? Brand and grade. Which Stihl oil are you using? It does make a difference.

8. Smithco Lawncare

I use QuikTrip gasoline, the cheapest. The premium grade STHIL mix

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These Stihl trimmer gas caps are notorious for not venting adequately. What happens ultimately, is that it creates a vacuum. If you loosen the gas caps, restart the units, they will be fine. I have a few units that do the same thing when run for for a given period of time. The blowers do it at times, as well. as a matter of fact, when they do this, when you take the gas cap off - listen, and you will hear the vacuum - much like opening a pop bottle.

10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Also I've heard that Stihl is finicky about their fuel. Try using Amsoil and a higher octane gas.

Give me a good ol' Shindy.