1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem With STIHL Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithco Lawncare, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard of it. You should be using a mid-grade (89 or 91 octane) name brand gas like Shell, Exxon, BP or some quality brand of gas. That gas you're using is of unknown origin and quality. All gasolines are not the same and I don't care who tells you otherwise.

I have some very old Stihl equipment and it all runs like a top, day after day. I use Shell 89 octane. If you look in your Stihl owners manual it will tell you the minimum octane is 89.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, you're saving money by using cheap low octane fuel, but hey at least they run good when it's not too hot.
    That or the ignition coil, only other possibility.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the coils on older model are famous for acting up and there isnt a lifetime warranty-its only 5 yrs. just one more reason why i dont buy sthil anymore.
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Try switching to Phillips 66 as they have no Ethanol in the mix now.
  5. huttoncut1

huttoncut1 LawnSite Member

I have to agree, try running a better know name brand gas. Question, are you running the with guards on or removed. I've been guilty of running with guards off and longer string, the engine doesn't turn the rpm does not get the cooling effect of running more rpms. Just throwing another idea out there.

TYCINC LawnSite Member

When the trimmers get hot and dont want to run, pull the plug out, ground it to the top of the cylinder, pull the engine over and look for a spark. Watch out because everything is going to be hot as hell. lol at whoever thinks its the gasoline or mix. . . It wouldnt run long enough to get hot and shut down if that were the case. plus his other equip is burning the same fuel . . . . . .
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

It is easier and faster to just carry a extra plug, and lay it on the cylinder , hook the coil lead to that.

It could very well be fuel, especially ethanol, you don't think already hot fuel next to a hot engine is not going to get hotter?
  8. Smithco Lawncare

Smithco Lawncare LawnSite Member

You're telling me you've never heard of QuikTrip?!?!?!?!?!?!? They are the biggest gas station chain in the Midwest. They put all the other gas stations out of business. They are the best. They have quality gasoline, no doubt about that. Huge lawn care companies like Embassy (operates in 4 states) and Epic (HUGE company) fuel up at QuikTrip. When I get gas every morning around 7:30 it's ridiculous how many lawn crews are there. 10-12 at a time all getting ready for the day. Around noon you'll see a ton of crews at QuikTrip for lunch. Anyway, I could use 91 instead of 87 if you think that will help. But, what I was trying to say is that I,ve used QuikTrip fuel since day 1, no problems with the weed eaters until these past couple months.

It's really our only option in KC, but they are awesome
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

No idea what it is.....been on this board for a few years.....if/when august rolls around.....stihl trimmers give this problem.....I have a feeling its the heat but....I cant tell you what or why it is
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, never heard of QuikTrip. That's be like me asking you if you had ever heard of Trade Wilco or Dash In. They just regional retailers of gasoline. Who makes their gas? More than likely it's just spot market gas. Anyway. Try their mid grade gas for a little while and see if it helps. It'll cost you what? 50 cents on a 5 gallon can?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just trying to help you fix your problem.