1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Problem With STIHL Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithco Lawncare, Aug 15, 2009.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

In 28 years of running trimmers with no guards and not a single coil failure , I would call B.S.
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Any new update on your problem?
  3. mictrik

mictrik LawnSite Member

Quicktrip is very well rated gasoline in all grades... I would switch to a higher octane as per Stihl recommendation. When an air cooled engine gets very hot you could possibly see pre-ignition. Just switch to higher octane, 89 or better and check the coil.
  4. Xtremegreen

Xtremegreen LawnSite Member

Do you have an enclosed trailer? Could be vapor lock. After they get hot, is the fuel in the tank hot? Is the primer bulb fogged up?
  5. JCPM

JCPM LawnSite Member

Sorry if trhis was already mentioned but I didn't feel like reading all four pages. I used to have a similiar problem with all of my Stihl equipment. It would act up like that until one day it just woulnd't start. I finally switched over to mid-grade gasoline for my mix(after replacing all of the carburetors$$$) and haven't had a problem since.
  6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl has 3 grades of 2-cycle oil.

In July, I always start using 93 octane.
    In the fall, I go back to 89 octane.
    I use Stihl HP 2-cycle oil. (Black Jug)
  7. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

All 3 grades of Stihl oil are called HP. The orange bottle is their standard grade and called HP. The black bottle is partially synthetic and called HP Super. The white bottle is fully synthetic and called HP Ultra.
  8. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

i use white like it better than echo oil