Problem with Toro Proline 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by By-The-Lake, Jun 30, 2008.

1. By-The-Lake

By-The-Lake LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new Toro Proline (not KAI) 21" Commercial mower which has been a bit of a disappointment due to the problems I have been having with it. I have used the mower only for 2 days and have been experiencing a few problems right from the 1st use: black smoke on starting and under load, carbon build up on mufler (can be seen in the pic), and low power (blade doesn't sound like it is up to speed and low self-propelled speed). Currently the mower starts but stalls when blades or self-propel is engaged. I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas what might be causing these issues so I can determine if this is an easy fix that I could do myself or if I need to take the mower back to the dealer. Thanks for any help.

Pic 004.jpg

2. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

WOWWWWWWWWWWW. i have had my mower for a YEAR and i dont have NO WHERES near that much carbon build up. I suggest you dont mess with it and bring it to the dealer. LOL your pull cable is on the left side, mine is on the right, lol, i wonder why.

3. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Does Toro still make that mower with a non-KAI engine?

4. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I probably couldn't start that thing left handed

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Sounds like the choke is on all the time , remove air cleaner and look at the choke plate with throttle in run position.

6. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

Ditto to that. Does it have a bbc? Cable setup looks just like the exmark with bbc.