problem with trac vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Oct 25, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Just mounted a used track vac that i bought back in spring and after putting a new honda5.5hp engine on it and reasembling it all i ran into a problem. The engine on the track vac kept shutting off and the shute would fill up with leaves but not the basket. Then when i took of the big hose off while the engine was still running i realised that the air was blowing outward toward the deck instead of sucking invards toward the basket. Is there something wrong with the way i remounted the hose assembly or is the fan on the wrong way ? I am brainstorming trying to visiualize what i did wrong and something tells me when i installed the new motor i did something wrong.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Simple,

Just take the carb off and replace it with the muffler, then put the carb where the muffler used to be. Rewind the rope start and thats it! Like I said...Simple.

JUST KIDDING!!!

I think you have the engine mounted on the wrong side of the impeller housing. You know what it isn't doing right, thats the first step to fixing it. Somethings blowing when it should be sucking. Is it a HONDA or a MONICA engine??!!

3. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

What dixie1 said and my local rental place has told me they have problems with Honda oil sensors. The sensor cuts off the engine when it bounces around or gets on a hill. If the engine still cuts off after fixing impeller, this may be the problem. I'm in process of putting old trac vac on another machine also. Hmmmm...wonder how I mounted that impeller?

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

bdemir--is it possible that the new engine turns the wrong way? I've never given it any thought as to which direction an engine would turn.

if the impeller and engine are properly mounted, what else could it be? good luck.

GEO

5. Emerald

Emerald LawnSite Member

The engine has to be spinning the wrong way. There is no way you could have put it together wrong. The shaft needs to spin counter clock wise.

[Edited by Emerald on 10-26-2000 at 12:42 PM]

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Im afraid you have the wrong engine if its turning the wrong way.I have a 5.5 honda on my trac-vac,and if the oil isnt right at the top of the stick it will shut off on a big bump.I unplugged it,since i check the oil daily anyway.If you want Ill check my rotation for you tonight.

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Your engine is turning the right way.

The top is getting clogged and the fan continues to circulate air from the center, through the fan, and out again on the outer edges of the intake chute.

Disconnect your oil sensor, check the top flow and REPORT back so we can put an end to this bizarre situation. ;)

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Lazer sounds right-the little hose needs to come off,at the fan side.It might be plugged in there.Answer this,is the engine under a load?If its laboring like it should be,then its passing air.If its plugged up,then it will free rev at the governed speed with little load.Is the air coming out the big hose with force and is it sucking from the little hose,or is nothing coming in or out the little hose,in the can.

9. bdemir

First i would like to thanks for the replys.

THe engine was turning off more often and now its not turning off as much but still turns off even after i put in more oil. The extra oil seemed to help a bit but it still truns off. I did not get a chance to check the top hose and i will check it tommorow. I feel the reason its tuning off is becase its getting pugged at the bottom. i realized that it was pushing air when i pulled of the sucktion chute to look to see if it was plugged and thats when i realized that it was pushing so much air out that i could not see how it could actually suck it when its pushing out. The top hose soounds like it might be plugged but it is so close to the machine and so short that i cant see it being the problem. I would also like to say that the engine on the mower is very weak and does not produce a lot of lift on the blades. But the track vac motor is brand new and its a honda 5.5h.p. If nothing works i will try to mount the thing on my other ower which has a newer motor and see if thats it. Thanks everyone for the great help It is greatly appreciated.

10. bdemir

The engine seems to be struggling a little. I was wondering if its too small for a trac vac. Its a honda 5.5hp.