1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

problem yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fishindude, Mar 17, 2006.

1. fishindude

fishindude LawnSite Member

I just inherited a new client today that planted St. Augustine Grass a year ago and can still pull the squares up. They have spent hundreds of dollars in fertilizers, chemicals, mulch name it they pretty much have done it. Everything they have done were suggestions from other lawn care srevices. I looked at the lawn today and it looked poor. I didn't try to pull any up, but it was in bad shap. No turf at all. Looks just like it was put down yesterday and was on the pallet for a month. Very compressed. Some green, but not much. Clover grows great though. The last lawn maintenance person threw mulch everywhere on the lawn. Personally, I think it is choked. Not getting enough circulation/air. Any helpful ideas?
  2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

It never rooted. Bet the soil the sod was laid on was hardpacked...Pull it up, till the soil and resod or better yet, seed...
  3. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

You can't get seed for St. Augustine, only sod.
  4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like its either compacted soil (Aeration), or they left it on the pallet too long ( resod )