Problems already

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dewos, Apr 30, 2007.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Ok, so i have about 45 yards and all weeks it has been raining till about Sunday late morning. I don't cut in the rain and i specify it in my contract that my customers sign. So it has rained wed, Thurs, Friday, sat, and early Sunday, but to the point i have been getting done my customers in order from Wednesday. Not only is it taking longer because of the grass being so high but i had problems with lawn mowers. This lady that called me was scheduled originally on sat. I called and brought it to her attention that we will be late and we are very far behind because of the rain she said ok get her asap. So today she calls me tells me she cut it herself and told me I'm fired!!?????????? What do i do in this instance?:hammerhead:

2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

what does your contract say...if she is in breech you could take it farther

3. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I mean she is going against the contract but i mean an unhappy customer might as well not be a customer. I don't want to hold her in against her will. I did nothing wrong threw the contract standards she just thinks shes my only customer. What would you tell this lady, shes being just unrealistic. All my other customers understand... its always the old ladys that do not understand why we are late sometimes. I have an old lady call me when it was pooring out and ask me why iI wasn't cutting.

4. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i would try to explain the problem to her one last time...if she still does not comply then abide by the termination clause in your contract...

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might look at changing you policy on mowing in the rain....a full time service is not going to easily suck up 4 days of work. But you have to have the type of equipment that will cut when it is raining.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Keep this saying in mind-- The squeaky wheel gets the grease! If you do that you will rarely lose a customer because you are behind:cool2:

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be happy to sdervice the lawn but understand the grass may clump and their may be slight tire marks through your lawn. If you can handle that on this occasion then I'll se you asap. You would have kept her and made her happy. You have to cut in slightly wet weather sometime especially in the spring it could cause you to miss a cycle and we never want that to happen.....

8. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you not work in the rain? Afraid to get wet? ;) Seriously though, I could understand if it was down right pouring outside, and hell with lightning an thunder I don't work in that, but reg rain fall? why not? Just curious.

9. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to make a yard look good when its overgown from an extra week of growth is much harder than just cutting it wet. Even worse its a headache to schedualand get back on track. If you have decent equipment the rain wont be a huge factor. The only time i refuse to mow is when the turf is so saturated that i risk damaging it just from the weight of the mowers.

In those cases just explain to the customer that the ground is so saturated and "mushy" (the technical term :) ), using the mowers on it could tear up the grass or cause indented wheel tracks. I have yet to meet the person that gets pissed at me for refusing to cut their lawn when they can't even step on it without sinking a little.

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just imagine you're the Priest in Caddyshack playing the greatest 18 holes of his life! Only don't get struck by lightning. lol Thats basically what I did the other day...if Im not gonna tear the yard up...im cutting...I hate down time.