Problems Encountered With WB's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I need to get a walk behind mower to add to my business. The 21" is just to much work for some of my lawns. I have read about all of you guys saying how important dealer support is and how it is a determining factor in your purchase. What kind of major problems do you have with belt drive units that could not be fixed at home? If you have some mechanical skills and parts availabilty couldn't you fix most things at home without a dealer? I was reading about the Quick 36 mower made by Better. For the price you just cannot say anything bad about this mower. A 36" Hydro for $2000. That is a steal. The only probelm would be no dealers. You can order the parts online, but you really do not have any dealer support. If this mower was to go down for a week or two I can wait and use my 21" again. Afterall I am using it now on all of my lawns. I think I would be able to fix/replace most parts on the mower. Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks...:)

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

It does sound like a very good piece of equipment for the money, but bear in mind that it seems to say one hydro drive for both wheels.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding dealer support, but they seem to list parts online. You might want to stock up on the $90 spare part kit.

As for the difficulty of handling repairs and so on, if you have some mechanical experience, might as well go for it. I don't see me ever putting time into extensive repairs on my equipment because I'm all thumbs when it comes to that sort of thing (I get a little nuts just changing the oil), but there are a lot in this business that are quite good with a wrench.

3. Husky03

I know the benefits of hydro, but I am not really familiar with it. What is the downside of only having only one hydro drive?
    If I decide to get this mower and I am seriously considering it, I would definately get the repair kit. I appreciate the help.:)

4. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Also keep in mind that you want to ride behind a walk behind, not walk. You probably could not attach a sulky to that mower.

5. Husky03

I am trying to find that out also. I would think you probably could, but Better does not make one so I am starting to wonder.

6. AuburnGuy

I have not looked, but i don't think they are very fast either. Most walkbehinds are 6+ mph.

7. Husky03

I just found on the site. It says that they are working on a sulky right now and it will be compatible with other WB's which means there should be a sulky out there right now that will work on it. On the site it says it will go 5 MPH max. Do you guys mow at speeds higher than 5 MPH anyways? Remember this is being used for residential and maybe small commercial only.

8. AuburnGuy

As you work more. you will find that you will mow as fast as the mower will let you. 6 is really not very fast. I know i always wish my walk behind went faster.

My push mower says that it goes 4.2. I have no problem walking behind it. 5mph would probably feel pretty slow.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to buy 2 of those mowers. If one goes down and you have to wait for parts to arrive you will not want to use a 21. Trust me.

10. Husky03

Yes, I would love to buy 2, but for that price I could get one around here with dealer support. Trust me, I know what it is like to mow with 21". I have done several properties over 12,000 square ft with my push.:eek: