Problems FasTrack 44"

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mike28nc, Aug 23, 2005.

1. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

PJ or anyone,

I am have problems with my machine. The handles touch each other and I cant seem to find the adjustment to stop this. I know this seems kind of Petty but it is bothersome to me. Also last week the dealer picked up my machine. They installed the mulch kit and it is not working well at all. I cant seem to cut the grass at all with this installed. It was leaving waves in the grass or lay the grass over. The grass wasnt wet to the touch but we did get rain a couple days before the cut. I ended up removing the plates and cut the grass with the mulch blades. That didnt seem to help the cut. I put the original blades back on the machine and cut the grass again. Is this the normal? I know I only have 16 hp motor but I am going very slow and still getting the same results.

Mike

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your dealer needs to look at this, with the mulch blades and kit installed it should cut excellent.
    As far as your handles go, he can take care of that also.
    You have a warranty, and that is what it is there for.
    If you would like me to have our customer service department call your dealer and help him out (if needed) let me know.

Pj

3. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

PJ,

When mulch blades and kit how much height can you cut off in one pass. I try to get out and cut my grass ever 6 days. But with the rain and kids sports this is not always possible. Grass can get high.

Mike

4. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

Mike - If you're using the regulare blades WITHOUT the mulch kit installed and still not getting good results, something is definitely wrong. Have your dealer take a look. FYI - I found that the regular blades work better with the mulch kit than the gator blades did - the regular blades seem to creat more lift.

I'm also interested in how to adjust the arms so that the levers don't touch, mine does this as well on my new 20/52. I'd rather not take it to the dealer, it's a 45 mile round trip.

Cheers, Brandon

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If your handles are the same as the Super Z. When in the "park" position, push each one toward the outside of the machine. They flex very easy. When I do slopes I have a habbit of pulling on the lever to "hang on" to stay in the seat. You have to watch for cracks in the steel plate that the lever bar is bolted onto. This could be a safty issue if you are in the wrong place at the wright time. My helper never noticed the lever when it was close to breaking off the first time. Both of my levers have been welded.

Gene

6. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

bderks

When the dealer dropped off the mower last week. The mulch kit and mulch blades was on the machine. I had to wait a day to cut the grass because of rain. The next day I started to cut the grass. I was dry to the touch all the way to the ground. I was getting clumps and waves in the grass. After about three rounds in my front yard I stopped and removed the baffles and put the discharge shoot back on(still using the mulch blades). I finished the yard but it was very bad cut. Two days later I removed the mulch blades and installed the original blades that came with the 44". It did well. I have cut my grass three times with the mower before the mulch kit was installed. I thought I would have to go slow with that mulch kit installed. It seems after reading some of the post that I might have to cut the grass high and then come back and cut it again(w/mulch kit installed).
    Is that the case?

Mike

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

When mulching a 1/3 rule is generally the rule, as in take no more than 1/3 of the height of the grass off.

Pj

8. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Louisiana is is very difficult to mulch at the height of the growing season. You have to cut every 3 or 4 days. July and August are the most difficult. We have commercial cutters who mulch year around, but they really have to stay on top of the lawns cutting schedules. It has been a very wet summer for us, lots of thick wet grass. There is no way I can mulch my St. Augustine yard after 6 days until the cooler nights start to come in. The mulch kits on Hustler mowers do a great job. The 18/44 is one of the best small mowers out there, I believe you will be well pleased with your mower. Good luck.

9. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

Gautreaus's LNG

That is what I am thinking about. Just wait for cooler weather. I love the machine. A few things have came up and the Dealer comes by and picks my mower up. You cant beat that can you? I am still looking for a way for me to adjust the stearing arms. They are hitting and sometimes cause problems. I hate for the dealer to come to my house to pick up the unit and then have to drop it off later. I was thinking of maybe cutting 1/2 inch off each of them. That might make the difference.

Mike

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is no reason to be cutting on a new mower, your dealer can take care of this for you, and he will not be cutting anything.

Pj